Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,462   Posts: 1,570,643   Online: 821

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Digibase C41 kit stabilizer drying funky

Hi

I've got the Rollei Digibase C41 kit. It seems to work fine, except the stabilizer. It tends to crystalize on the negs when drying. I asked at rangefinderforum.com and the best I got was to use Kodak Stabilizer (not available in my area) or to clean the negs, which is easy but I'd rather avoid that step. Anyone have any other advice? Dilute it? Try a different temperature?

Cheers
    Paul

Shooter
    35mm
    Crystalize how? Does it apper like a dry white foam after the film is dry? And did you use tap water to make the stabilizer? If so, that is because the water is very hard. I got the same problem. For the stabilizer bath is best to use distilled water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
    Hi
    Dilute it?
    do you mean dilute it more?

Or do you mean you are using the stock solution straight out of the bottle? Which might be interesting, as it is intended to be diluted 100+900. you probably shouldn't dilute it further

Otherwise, i'd second the idea of using distilled or deionised water to mix it, which is what I do and I don't get any marks.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you need to descale your kettle at all frequently you need to use some of:

- deionized water to mix the preservative in C41 kit, and leave it to soak for longer
    - a proper film squeegee cleaned carefully each use
    - hang sprocket hole side down rather than along length

I only do the squeegee still get ocassional deposit

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you in the US? Adorama sells the Kodak Final Rinse for $6.95 (concentrate to make five liters) and will ship it for a few dollars more. I had the same problem with the Rollei stabilizer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The mixture ratios shown on Item 4 of the C41 digibase Instruction manual are, apparently, wrong.
    This will give a mixture that is about twice as concentrated as it should be, and the result will be "blobs" and the film will be sticky when dry.

The correct ratio is shown on the Stabilizer concentrate bottle
    that is {water, 475 ml } + {stabilizer, 25 ml} = 500ml

This error was pointed out to me some time ago by Apug member Nuff.
    With correct ratio, and draining the film horizontally in a spiral on a paper towel before hanging, I am getting much better results.
    Thanks Nuff!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the prompt replies. I mixed everything with distilled water, using the instructions on the internet. It seems that wombat2go has had the exact same issue as me, which is the "clumps". You can see them on the film if you look hard, but it's painfully apparent on the negs. Imagine a straight line of white crap.

Anyway, I am pretty sure I mixed the directions on the page, which was 900ml water + 100ml of stabilizer for the working solution. That gives me 1 liter, which says it will last all 60 rolls (the maximum the developer will last). So, with that being wrong, it looks like I need to dilute that by 1+1, giving me 2 liters. Should I assume it will be exhausted after roughly 30 rolls?

The vendor I got it from said the stabilizer is simply a wetting agent, and has nothing to do w/ the development. Would any B&W wetting agent (Driwel, etc.) work just as well? I'm in Japan, not the US, so getting Kodak stabilizer is a hassle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The stabilizer is Photo FLo + formalin. The Final Rinse is Photo Flo + a proprietary germ killer.

Neither should crystallize.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Don't know what to tell you, but it does. Maybe crystalize is a bad word to describe it. Congeal? Either way, it's not pretty, and apparently I'm not the only one it's happened to.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Let me guess: there are no visible crystals on your film surface, but white drying marks that look the same as the patterns on a glass surface where droplets of tap water were left to dry. I have the exact same drying marks when I use too much Ilfotol in my black&white final rinse, so excessive concentration of wetting agent in that STAB bath is the likely problem.

Either make your own STAB from Formalin and a tiny amount of wetting agent, or dilute the STAB you have 1+4 and add some Formalin.

PS: you did use distilled water for making your STAB, yes?
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin