Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,080   Online: 919

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterboy View Post
    Sorry about the confusion, the overexposure and look of 400 at 160 were independent statements.

The problem is, I shoot medium format and mostly in not so great light. So I HAVE to stop down a bit to get high enough shutter speeds to hand hold. Also, not a huge fan of 800 speed films due to the grain (for colour). Therefore was trying to find out what my options are.

Portra 800 is a great option. If you have detachable film backs you could always load a couple with different film speeds and change as needed.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Portra800 shot at 800 will most likely be less grainy and give a better image than shooting 400 at 800 and pushing. But I have not done that so I can't be certain, just my suspicion.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot Portra 800 as well, and it is a very nice film (all of the Kodak Portra films are very nice.) But in my opinion Portra 400 has more lattitude. When I push 800 to 1600 it gets grainy really fast, much faster than Portra 400 does.

It is certainly better technique to use support and lower shutter speeds when shooting in low light...except for when you can't! Try shooting kids on Christmas Eve at ISO 400. I really hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but slow shutter speeds just don't cut it. Halloween is another one. Sometimes your only answer is to push the ISO. Especially if you are shooting medium format with the slower lenses and much reduced DOF.

I wish that Fuji still made their 1600 color film, but they don't. Fortunately Portra 400 seems to work well enough to fill in the gap.

Of course, I guess we could all go digital and shoot at ISO 12800, or higher.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format

EI for Portra 400

Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    If your'e happy with the film at I.S.O. 400, why try to be clever ? Kodak know what the optimum speed of their products are to get the best results, I would only consider adjusting the film speed rating if I was unhappy with the results.
    The thing is, they don't slap on the box the speed that they know gives optimal results and call it ISO. ISO is a rigidly defined lab determined standard and isn't necessarily the pictorially optimum rating. It seldom is on black and white for example. Color is closer because if the standardized processing but you still may find another rating works best.

This is really splitting hairs though. Anything 100-800 will give good easily printed results. C41 just has huge range (latitude.)

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk using 100% recycled electrons. Because I care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Portra800 shot at 800 will most likely be less grainy and give a better image than shooting 400 at 800 and pushing. But I have not done that so I can't be certain, just my suspicion.
    It does in my opinion but not in everyone's opinion. Portra 800 is a very nice surprisingly fine grained film. Especially in medium format give it a try if you need the speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The ISO standard design was based on real world prints judged by real people. It is not an arbitrary standard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't say it was arbitrary. I meant it was rigidly defined and might not work best for you. Or it might. Try and see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Portra has more than enough latitude so use box speed. EI is for people whose equipment is out of calibration and those who do not know how to use light meters correctly. Stick to box speed or at most 1/3 stop overexpose such as ISO 320 for slightly more saturation instead of ISO 400.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bah. I know how to use a meter fine. I use a spot meter quite successfully with my view camera. But I do think C41 looks slightly better with generous exposure - less apparent grain, gobs of shadow detail. You're right that it looks fine at 400, and not too bad up to 800. But I think anything from 200-400 is reasonable and 250 or 320 is a slight improvement, especially for someone who isn't really comfortable using a meter and just let's the camera decide. C41 does have a lot of latitude. When in doubt, give a bit more.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin