Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,620   Online: 1025

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Profoto XL 100?

What's happened to Kodak Profoto XL 100? As recently as last year, Unique Photo was stocking it, but no one else -- and now not even them. I was dubious at first, but decided I liked it well enough for the price.

Superia 100 is gone. Kodak Gold 100 is gone. Now this. Is there any color negative 100 speed consumer film left?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never heard of this film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Lomography 100 Color Negative. Might be the best deal in film right now. 3 rolls of 36 for about $8. It is clearly made in USA by Kodak and would bet it is Gold 100.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not Gold 100, it's very under saturated, I'm pretty sure it's different film for different markets. I used to see it on ebay a lot and that's where I got mine from, but it seems to be gone from there as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Never heard of this film.
    You live in a different country!
    Profoto XL 100, or the older Image Pro 100, is a less saturated version of, or based on Gold 100. They were sold mainly in some countries in South America and Asia. They were marketed as suitable to portrait and wedding photography as an alternative to the more expensive Portra film.
    It was liked by many people, including me.
    It is discontinued.

Is there any color negative 100 speed consumer film left?
    At the moment, apart Ektar and a couple of ISO 160 films, no.
    Call back in a year or 2 and it might be different.
    Meanwhile buy what is there: buy fresh, keep the factories rolling!
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons

Shooter
    35mm
    While it's not 100, I believe Kodak Colorplus is still available. I'm seeing it in my usual film haunts online. While I understand that Alaris Kodak is trying to find their way, I am upset with the way they are treating photographic film. Though in contemplation it's no different than the way Fuji et al, is treating it I suppose.

The only growth in film seems to be in the black and white world.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak Colorplus used to be easily found here in Shanghai. I tried a roll because it is dirt cheap, around $2. The results were not that great so I never went back to it. I'm not sure if this film can be found now as Kodak supply has gotten rather problematic in many parts of Asia. Portra is now a rare thing to find and Tri-X is really hard to find.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. Maybe I'm just not that fussy, but I made several prints this weekend from a roll that I developed (my last?) and they look pretty decent to me. For some reason it scans with a gold cast that might put some people off (and appeal to others). But in the prints, the colors are neutral -- cool and muted and quite nice. Oh, well. It's on to something else, I suppose...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've spotted the odd roll of this in our lab - wondered what it was.!

Shooter
    35mm
    /rant on

Kodak seems hell bent on getting out of film. I know the arguments about profits, and I am not begrudging them that right. They have to make a profit to stay in business. I realize that film is also a niche market these days, but They are continuing to kill off film lines and have publicly stated that there is no future in film and they are not interested in furthering development. Why? There are a number of Kodak emulsions that I really liked. PRofoto XL/100 being two. Colorplus is ok, but not my favorite. I really liked the Ektachromes and I'm not even going to start on Kodachrome. Here in NE Pennsylvania, kodak film is getting hard to find and my suppliers tell me that Kodak is getting even more rude than they were in the past. I don't understand why.
    Harmon is doing well with their film business, Adox,Rollei,Agfa,and even Fuji seems to be doing ok. Ferrania is even thinking about getting back into film, though I don't know how much farther that has come since the big announcements several months ago. Why doesn't Kodak Alaris just sell off their film lines and get out of the business entirely if its so bad? IT just really makes no sense. /rant off

We now return you to the regularly scheduled forums....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin