Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,083   Online: 972

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wet box of Provia. Is it OK?

The subject line kind of says it all. My film freezer got unplugged (by an inattentive roofer, I think), some ice melted, and my last full box of Provia 100F in 5x7 sheets got thoroughly wet.

The box is well soaked through but not falling apart. I've transferred it to the refrigerator where it should dry out pretty quickly, and my plan is just to hope that there's no damage to the film. I think I'm mostly worried about drying marks rather than emulsion damage, but I'm not too knowledgeable about color film structure and there could be issues I'm not aware of.

Anything I should do especially? Should I expect any problems?

Thanks

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

ziyanglai
    If you look at Ben Horne Photography Color Film Guide on YouTube. If you watch the whole video. He talked about this at some point. The same thing happened to him. There was a green mark on one side of the film, he shot one sheet, it was fine. But he didn't trust it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    35mm

alum

Isn't the film boxed with an aluminum foil or something air-tight bag inside the box? When I traveled by air to the Olympics in Mexico City from California the Kodak film roll packages puffed up. They were air-tight and the extreme altitude of Mexico City's thin air made the California thick air (probably some smog in it to give it bulk) made the bags puff up. I haven't bought 5x7 film since Nixon was vice president so don't know how it comes lately. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the envelopes are made of a heavy paper, maybe with a coating layer of some kind on the inside. For a second I was tempted to open the box and look to see if the envelopes were soaked, but I caught myself before doing it!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Isn't the film boxed with an aluminum foil or something air-tight bag inside the box?
    I thought all Fuji sheet films were wrapped in the watertight aluminum packages and then placed in the outer cardboard box. If the box has never been opened they're probably OK in the aluminum I would think. If you've opened it originally and had opened the aluminum packages too, then all beats are off as to the integrity.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    35mm
    I would have thought that, as with all modern roll and 35mm films, the packaging (if still factory-sealed and unopened) would be moisture-proof to protect against humidity in transport and storage ?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well perhaps you should have kept it in the fridge in the first place. A freezer is not necessary.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    All my films get put in their own ziploc bag in the freezer or fridge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All my films get put in their own ziploc bag in the freezer or fridge.
    I do the same. I think I had an unexpected defrost with a power outage while at work many years ago that brought the issue to the surface for me. A good extra bit of safety there I think.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    an unopened box will be fine. the foil pouch is airtight/watertight.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin