Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,139   Online: 1041

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    This price is not bad. For home use, 3-bath is probably fine. Can I use anything from the C-41 kit? Bleach, fixer, stab?
    This depends on which C41 kit you have. There is this "Flexicolor Bleach III", which uses a different oxidizer than regular E6 bleach. Given that Bleach III is less aggressive than Ferricyanide bleach, and that scores of E6 amateurs use the letter without problems, there is a good chance that even Bleach III will work fine, but there is no warranty or anything, i.e. use it for E6 at your own risk. The fixer can most likely be used for E6, too.

With STAB, you have to know whether the C41 STAB you use contains Formalin, because E6 needs it. If your C41 STAB doesn't contain Formalin, you have to get E6 STAB, which in turn you could use for C41, too.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did the maths on E6 processing:
    Tetenal 3-bath kit costs $84, and is "good for 12 rolls"*, ergo $7 a roll.
    My local lab does dip'n'dunk for $12 a 135/120 roll, or $10 a 4x5 sheet.
    For the extra $5, I'd rather someone did it properly for the rolls, I'd rather not risk 4/12/16/36 good shots.

But for the same surface area, you get four 4x5s per roll. So that's only $1.75 per 4x5, compared to $10. Now I do all my 4x5 sheets at home.

*with the Tetenal disclaimer that to get that 12 you have to put at least 2 rolls through at once, but then quality is subjective and you may get more out of it too.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I figure the capacity has a lot to do with how you manage the chemicals. With the same 5L chemical, some says to process 60 rolls of 135/36. Some says 12, then another says 20. Certainly you can get higher capacity with replenishing scheme.

At $2/roll, clearly this is very reasonable. But at $7/roll, it does not make much sense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is Trebla still in business? I think they sold E6 chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Jobo to do E-6. Doing a single roll uses 140ml. Even single shot, that is 35 rolls. Doing two rolls at a time would bring that to 40 rolls ( 240ml per run ). At 35 rolls per 5L, that would be $2.85 a roll ( Tetenal 3 step ). Seems OK to me. Now of course that quickly diminishes if your chemistry goes bad before you use it all.

Joel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    Is Trebla still in business? I think they sold E6 chemicals.
    They only keep RA chemicals for now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel_L View Post
    I use a Jobo to do E-6. Doing a single roll uses 140ml. Even single shot, that is 35 rolls. Doing two rolls at a time would bring that to 40 rolls ( 240ml per run ). At 35 rolls per 5L, that would be $2.85 a roll ( Tetenal 3 step ). Seems OK to me. Now of course that quickly diminishes if your chemistry goes bad before you use it all.

Joel
    Is "Tetenal 3 step" a replenish set, or one-shot set? How long would the concentration last after opened?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can speak to how I used to use the Unicolor. I waited to mix working strength until I had enough film for the capacity, which was either two or three 35 exposure rolls per 8oz, I forget now which (it's been about 20 years since I did E6 myself.) 8oz was the minimum for my stainless tank. I'd mix up the 8oz batch of each chemical and process my film. I don't recall adding any time, and I certainly didn't replenish. I just ran the first one poured the working strength back into a bottle, dried the tank and reel when done and ran another through it. I never noticed any difference between the first roll and the last.

As for how long the concentrates last once opened, I know I took the better part of a year to finish the gallon kit and it still worked fine.

PE does say that a stabilizer containing formalin is required for E6 to be archival. None of the 3 bath kits have that; you'll have to find it separately or mix it yourself. That didn't seem too hard. I'll see if I can find the thread about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's the thread where PE explains why you need it and how to make it. Just mix Photo-Flo 200 to the normal strength then add 3-10ml of 37% formalin per liter. I linked an auction back in that thread but a quick look on eBay now shows lots of sources for 10% formalin which PE says is fine, just adjust the concentration:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/1...tabilzers.html

Shooter
    35mm
    I wrote freestyle a few days ago asking about their Arista kits and the lack of stabilizer. Specifically I asked about whether or not it could be ordered separately. The response I got back was very interesting. The gentleman who answered my email said he crushes hexamine fuel tablets, his formula was ~5g/liter. The Arista kit is affordable and with my local E-6 developer no longer doing it with Kodak's chemical exit. I'm seriously considering it, though I'm not sure about cost like the OP.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin