Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,682   Posts: 1,548,520   Online: 869

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

So Home E-6 is not Economical?

I have a few rolls of reversal film and two partial boxes of 4x5. So I'm thinking of giving E-6 a try. But it appears it costs so much to get all the chemicals for E-6. It seems it is better for me to sell the films and forget about the nice E-6. I won't have the volume to justify the cost. C-41 is not an issue since I already have some of the chemicals before and I do shoot color negative regularly.

What is considered a decent price to get 135, 120 and 4x5 developed? No mounting. Film are Fuji Velvia and Provia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How do you process your film, a Jobo?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    E6 is reasonably economical for home processing. Cheaper than having it done, especially for sheet film, unless you are buying the small volume kits. Now if you are pricing the small volume kits and figure you'd never use the large volume one before it went bad, you may have a point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Over in the UK we have a 6 bath + stabiliser 5 litre E6 kit available from Fuji-Hunt that with a Jobo would do say 25 rolls at 5 rolls per 1000ml which translates to a large number of 4"x5" sheets.

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...g-kit-5-litres

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    How do you process your film, a Jobo?

Tom
    Jobo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    E6 is reasonably economical for home processing. Cheaper than having it done, especially for sheet film, unless you are buying the small volume kits. Now if you are pricing the small volume kits and figure you'd never use the large volume one before it went bad, you may have a point.
    If I keep a consistent flow, then it makes sense to get a 20L kit. But I think the most I can use is a 10L kit. No plan to add more slide film.

So what is the cost for a complete 10L kit? I searched Unique Photo and I do not see any complete kit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So the 5L kit would give me a cost of about $6 for 135/36?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    If I keep a consistent flow, then it makes sense to get a 20L kit. But I think the most I can use is a 10L kit. No plan to add more slide film.

So what is the cost for a complete 10L kit? I searched Unique Photo and I do not see any complete kit.
    Wow, 10L, I've never seen one that big, much less 20L.

Freestyle has the Tetenal 5L for $100. (Ok, $99.99.)

Capacity is listed as 60 rolls of 135-36, which comes to $1.66/roll (plus shipping charges of course, not inconsequential but probably won't add too much either.) That would be the same for 120. For 4x5, four sheets is the same surface area, approximately, to a roll of 135-36 so that's 240 sheets, or $0.42 per sheet (rounding up.) Most commercial labs seem to charge $2-$3.

Yes, I know some people rant against the three bath kits. I used them a lot and the results were fine. You can add additional stabilizer if you want. PE has posted about that. You'll have to find the formalin.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/102034...-6-Kit-5-Liter

Their house brand Arista stuff is less expensive and supposedly made by the people who formerly made Unicolor. I used a lot of Unicolor in the 80s and 90s and liked the results fine but reports on the Arista seem to be more mixed. The Tetenal is well known and generally respected though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The cost when you mix your own depends on where you buy the chemicals. It does pay to shop around; often the price differential is 100% or more, It also makes a difference what grade chemicals you use. For instance reagent or lab grade sodium sulfite is quite expensive but food grade is much cheaper. Any grade other than technical is suitable for photography. Obtaining small amounts of the color developing agents is always a problem especially as far as price.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-02-2014 at 12:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This price is not bad. For home use, 3-bath is probably fine. Can I use anything from the C-41 kit? Bleach, fixer, stab?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin