Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,723   Posts: 1,515,023   Online: 1231

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Images

Wildflower options-Film

I was wondering what you folks would use to shoot wildflowers. I plan to use Provia 100F and Velvia but was curious about what others, who partake in wildflower hunting, use?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I was wondering what you folks would use to shoot wildflowers. I plan to use Provia 100F and Velvia but was curious about what others, who partake in wildflower hunting, use?
    I use the same choices, but my images are more along the lines of "fine art" than "scientific". If you are intested in as accurate colors as possible, you may wish to experiment with more neutral films.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IF shooting chromes and semi macro's (meaning longer exposures due to bellows extension) then I would avoid Velvia. If big bold colour is your goal use provia, e100vs or e100g or gx. The Kodak films handle long exposures much better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A white umbrella seems to help in mid-day sun.

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Large Format
    For color chromes, I have been using Kodak E100G exclusively. Seems to me to be a pretty decent film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It seems like among other things the end use and output would have alot to do with a pick. I like Provia myself, have yet to re-experiment with Astia, but for prints am looking towards trying some Kodak VC to compare to UC. If your shooting 35mm, alot of people seem to like UC which is available thru Walmart in a three pack. If anything, when shooting slide film watch the color temp for neutrals.... I see alot of Velvia stuff since it's obviously very popular for landscapes and flowers, but the speeds are so slow that for anything macro to get dof you have to shoot too slow with wind problems being a nuisance. If prints are small try the 400 speeds.

Images
    Looks like I will have to look into the kodak stuff. I wil be shooting 4x5 transparency and usually shoot provia 100F. I just don't like the look when I shoot in low light. That is why I planned on using Velvia.

I detest grain or anything representing it that is why I shoot the slow speeds and with a big camera.

woohoo I can't wait. One month to go.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Looks like I will have to look into the kodak stuff. I wil be shooting 4x5 transparency and usually shoot provia 100F. I just don't like the look when I shoot in low light. That is why I planned on using Velvia.
    Keep in mind that Velvia 50 doesn't react the same way as the Velvia 100F. My understanding is the 100F is more like Provia.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Images
    I tried velvia 100F and was not very impressed. But I have not tried it with flowers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been using Astia and have been really happy with it. An example is here:
    http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3132138

I never really liked Velvia 50. Too slow for insect photos. My favorite slower film is still Kodachrome 64...
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin