Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,076   Online: 797

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    See:
    The Strange Case of the Cosmic Rays (1957)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_wt5AFjRQo

6 feet of lead is required.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cosmic rays are not rays but particles, for the most part. Gamma rays originate from several naturally radioactive compounds found on earth, but they are shielded to some extent by concrete and other dense materials. If you have the option, store only film in your fridge, as for practical purposes most gamma rays originate from potassium (K-40), and having food in your fridge brings more potassium in close proximity. That said, I doubt whether it is such a big deal for slow/normal speed films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    finally, an explanation for my poor compositions - the cosmic rays are jiggling all the Silver halide atoms over to one side a bit

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    BTW one of the principle sources of background radiation is from potassium K40 --> Ca40.
    There you have it -- don't store your film with your potatoes!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The faster the film speed, the more the issue. I still have a few rolls of long discontinued high-speed this or that in the freezer, but strictly as
    momentos. I have no intention of shooting them, because they undoubtedly spoiled long ago. The salt mine is where I work. My darkroom is
    where I escape the salt mine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Film photography is really not the right hobby for OCD:ers. Just imagine trying to compulsively block out cosmic radiation from your freezer...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In 2007 I bought 50 rolls of Aerographic 2424 which is basically HIE in 70mm, a guy named David Romano re-spooled it and sold it as ready to shoot 120. I did a test right away with it and compare rolls I shoot now and I see no increase in base fog which truly surprised me. I keep it well frozen and I live at 8,000 feet.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 06-11-2014 at 06:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin