Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,627   Online: 720

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Svema Color 125 @ FPP

Lately I have been checking in on the http://filmphotographyproject.com website. I don't know if they participate here or not. Their store has better prices than Amazon these days and tolerable shipping costs. Anyhow, way down the list of 35mm film in their store is this C-41 gem:

http://filmphotographyproject.com/st...lm-single-roll

Now in their forum pages they say this is current film, not old frozen stock, but seem reluctant to give much more information. Has anyone tried it? Know anything about it? Printed with it or scanned it?

I have purchased 3 rolls out of nosiness but have not yet used it.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is no C-41 film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That is no C-41 film.
    Well, their web page says it is. I plan to use a roll next week and then we shall find out. FWIW the unexposed film looks much like any other C-41 film.

Or, could it be a non C-41 color film that just happens to work to some extent in a C-41 process, like ECN-2 films do?

Personally I thought Svema was long gone but, maybe it isn't? They also list a Tasma film at FPP although it is b/w, not color.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, that is on their website. And they also say that it is fresh film.

So, now it is on you to decide whom to believe.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Well, their web page says it is. I plan to use a roll next week and then we shall find out. FWIW the unexposed film looks much like any other C-41 film.

Or, could it be a non C-41 color film that just happens to work to some extent in a C-41 process, like ECN-2 films do?

Personally I thought Svema was long gone but, maybe it isn't? They also list a Tasma film at FPP although it is b/w, not color.
    You can still get ok colour but earlier colour negative won't necessarily tolerate the high temperature c 41process without a prehardened.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Lately I have been checking in on the http://filmphotographyproject.com website. I don't know if they participate here or not. Their store has better prices than Amazon these days and tolerable shipping costs. Anyhow, way down the list of 35mm film in their store is this C-41 gem:

http://filmphotographyproject.com/st...lm-single-roll

Now in their forum pages they say this is current film, not old frozen stock, but seem reluctant to give much more information. Has anyone tried it? Know anything about it? Printed with it or scanned it?

I have purchased 3 rolls out of nosiness but have not yet used it.
    Contact Michael Raso or any of the FPP people if you are unsure how to develop that film.
    Or you could go to their forum: http://filmphotographyproject.com/forum
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Yes, that is on their website. And they also say that it is fresh film.

So, now it is on you to decide whom to believe.

Yes the problem with some sites including e-bay is that sellers have taken to use the word "fresh" when they simply mean "unused and not opened". In other words my film is fresh because it is the same film that came off the production line, all those years ago. Well, yes it looks the same on the outside but depending on age it is not the same film that came off the production line.

Nowadays nearly everyone says "new" about paper, adding unopened which helps made the "new" description more authentic, apparently. If paper is 20 years old then it is never new by any definition even if has been unopened or even stored correctly

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That dog shot is to die for. I love the look. Please DO get back w/ your results! You may be onto something there. If it were me, since it's not a lot of money, I'd shoot a test roll ASAP and get it developed in C-41 somewhere (unless you normally do C-41 yourself) and see how it looks. I'm a real doubting Thomas about stuff on the web, and always try things out myself to see what's really going on. My gut feeling is that it may not really be a C41 film, but w/ a look like that, it don't matter, do it?
    Last edited by momus; 06-09-2014 at 07:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    The dog shot looks fine but I am not sure it exhibits a different colour palette from "standard" C41 films. Maybe the dog shot wasn't the best example to use to demonstrate its difference. The same shot on say Fuji Superia or Kodak Portra might have helped to make the point but by itself and not knowing the claim made, I don't think I'd have said: "Wow this colour palette is really different"

Just as a matter of interest, how much cheaper is this than Kodak or Fuji film? Unless it is a lot cheaper or the colour palette jumps out at you as really different I'd worry about its pedigree and age

Let us know how you get on with it if you buy it.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just as a matter of interest, how much cheaper is this than Kodak or Fuji film?
    It is not cheaper at all. It is more expensive at this time. However, with all the angst these days about the death of color film, IF there is another player in the game that could be a good thing!

As I mentioned, I purchased 3 rolls to try it out and see what the stuff is as I usually try out a new* film if I see it.

There was a discussion on this film over at RFF. This link was given as to the company that produces it: http://www.astrum-ltd.com/en/kino-foto-materialy.html

The English translation of the web page is just about gibberish. Maybe someone that can natively read it might be able to tell us what it really says.

*whatever "new" means in this context!
    Last edited by kb3lms; 06-09-2014 at 09:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin