Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,467   Online: 935

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Please help: Is it possible to save photos from bad developed film?

Hi all.

Let me start this story with telling you about my stupidity and incompetence..

So I was developing two portra 400's today. First was ok. But with second one I had problem to get it on reel (probably because reel was still a little wet from first development, I tried to dry it with towel but probably that wasnt enough..)
    And I was really struggling over 30mins to get this film on reel, my hands and probably also film was all sweat... at the end I was able to reel 3/4 of film, then it got stuck and I really really didnt have will and energy to un-reel it and try again.

I was super angry and disapointed and I put it into jobo tank and start developing. Some photos are ok, but some have this dark stains on them, probably because the un-reeled film sticked to that part of film.

And my question is, if there is any chance to save those photos? I know they will not look nice as the normal photos, but please at least something, so I can try to do more work in PC.

I didnt try to scan this film yet, it is still drying, but if anybody has advice how to save those photos I would be very very very thankfull.

Maybe I can try to put it again into bleach and fix and lets see.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

attached is photo of the film, please tell me there is chance
    Thank you !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20140611_224437.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Patience is a virtue and you are on a learning curve. In future make sure the spiral is bone dry and take your time.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It wouldn't hurt to bleach and fix it again. But if it would help, I don't know.

Tanks and spirals aren't that expensive, so maybe you could get a few extra spirals or even a bigger tank?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Your film is ruined. Don't have any expectations in photography.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Your digital picture is as worse as film, i can't see well .. well, bleach & fix it again and hire a very good photoshoper.

I edit my post addind bleach step to avoid your confusions. As another member noted, there is something like an image on your film.
    Last edited by F4user; 06-11-2014 at 05:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

story

I know your color negative roll is not the same as slide film but permit me to mention a little story, something that happened to me long ago. A fellow came to me and said he wanted me to take a photograph of his mother to send to the relatives back East. He wanted color slides. I said okay and he said I should meet him at the local funeral parlor. His mom had recently become deceased. I photographed her in her coffin and she looked very nice. It's an old tradition, by the way, to send such photos to loved ones who cannot be there for the funeral. So I shot a roll of 120 Ektachrome and took it to the local camera store (remember, this was a long time a go) to be processed locally. When I got the roll back it was opaque. There seemed to be no photos. Now I had a dilemma. Should I suggest we dig the lady up so I can try photographing her again? Bad form. So instead I asked to talk to the camera store manager. He looked at the film and declared that the young fellow who developed the roll had done the first few steps but had gotten mixed up and did not do the last several steps which are the ones that can be done in daylight. So the guy stuck the film back in the soup, went through the final steps, and the slides came out fine.
    Moral of this story: why not try running the film through the latter chemicals again? Can't hurt.
    PS: as to the poster who seems to say you should abandon photography because you seem to be totally inept -- I think his English is faulty and that isn't quite what he meant. Keep in mind -- you have to make all the mistooks before you are a real pro at this.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Basically, the part that's got problems is hosed. Kaput. Just re-shoot it if you want the images you were trying to make.

For future reference, when dealing with plastic reels, they need to be bone dry after each batch to make sure the film doesn't stick. Get a cheap hand-held hair dryer that has both a hot and cool air setting, and use it to dry the reels. The blowing air will be able to get into the small grooves in the spiral and dry them much better than a towel will, and it won't leave lint on the reels either. Alternate hot and cool air when running the dryer so that you don't overheat the reels. Too much and you could potentially melt the reels, or at least heat them enough that they alter the chemistry temperature when running the next batch of film and cause development issues.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I concur with jaf-photo, despite those dark stains there is image matter visible in those regions, and an additional bleach and fix (or BLIX) run could at least get rid of the stains. The downside to this is that you will most likely have underdevelopment in these regions, which means a hybrid work flow with lots of post processing will likely be necessary.

And your guess is right: film will stick really well to wet or even moist spirals, so don't ever bother to try this again. In case you find out too late that your spiral is still wet, you can put the whole unwound film roll into your tank (with spindle, but no spiral), then close the lid. This will keep your film in the dark while you can take measures in normal room light to get that spindle 100% dry.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have nothing to lose at this point, so you might as well see if running it through the bleach and fix helps any.
    Make sure you wash and stabilize again too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thank you for replies

when I posted this it was already 11PM in my country yesterday, and I dont own any digital camera anymore so photo was taken just be phone that is why it looks as it looks.

today I get more spirals, you think that work with metal spirals is easier? I have only plastic one

I tried to scan this film and the result was that scanner was able to pick image under that stain. I will run it again in bleach and fix to see if that helps. Which times and temperatures should I use? The same as during standard development?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin