Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,628   Online: 1166

Shooter
    35mm

A Happy Accident

A couple weeks ago I had a happy accident. I'd loaded the camera with a roll of Wittner Chrome 200D slide film. I'd set the camera (A Pentax PZ-20) on aperture priority mode (I don't know why I didn't use Manual, but I digress) and set the aperture for the flash I was using (A Pentax AF200S) to correspond to the film speed I'd selected. However, I neglected to let the camera in on the film speed, so it assumed 100 speed film, since Wittner Chrome 200D isn't DX coded. Off I went to my son's graduation. I realized after I'd shot all the graduation pictures that the camera's aperture was set correctly for the flash (f/4 for ISO 200) but the camera was on aperture priority and thought it had 100 speed film.

The pictures came out pretty good, I think. It was mixed lighting (flash + mercury vapor lights in the gym) so the background color is a little off. What's awesome is there's all sorts of detail in the background, yet the foreground was properly exposed by the flash.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAA035.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	89488
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks good!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice result indeed . And congrats to your son .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That certainly worked out serendipitously!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes it did. I'm happy with it, and I'll have to remember this trick for bringing up shadows in the background when using flash!
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just be aware that if the camera picks a shutter speed that is too low you might get a "ghost" image from camera movement, or else just blurring.

Shooter
    35mm
    True, but these were teenagers who were sitting still. I do have one where the flash failed to fire, and there's definite blurriness due to movement on it.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin