Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,864   Posts: 1,583,190   Online: 760

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilfochrome developer longevity and substitute

Preamble is that I have three sealed Ilfochrome P30.2 kits plus one kit part used, see photo:

These kits (to make 2 litres each of dev, bleach, and fix) and my small stock of Ilfochrome paper is not getting any younger and I really ought to now make best use of them. The developer from the open kit looks completely oxidised but I understand a substitute developer can be made by adding a small amount of Sodium thiosulphate per litre of a dilute conventional Hydroquinone based B&W developer?

I will be interested to observe the colour of the developer in the sealed bottles; not completely sure how to assess the risk / reward ratio of using the opened kit versus limited paper supplies although I suspect I may have more paper than chemistry, and I'll need to adopt a try-it-and-see approach...

Processing the paper in a Jobo, so also need to check timings.

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think I used about 1/4 teaspoon of hypo per liter of working developer solution, but I'd have to check my notebook at home. The exact amount is not critical, to my understanding. I think some people have gotten by without adding it, but I've never felt the need to try it. I always mixed my own developer but you can just add the hypo to a premixed developer. Ilfochrome is so sensitive I wouldn't bother trying the open solution unless it was opened last month.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I think I used about 1/4 teaspoon of hypo per liter of working developer solution, but I'd have to check my notebook at home. The exact amount is not critical, to my understanding. I think some people have gotten by without adding it, but I've never felt the need to try it. I always mixed my own developer but you can just add the hypo to a premixed developer. Ilfochrome is so sensitive I wouldn't bother trying the open solution unless it was opened last month.
    I guess the bleach and fix from the opened kit in the photo may still be ok.

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The fix is just rapid fix; if it still fixes a scrap of film quickly it's good. I'm not sure how long the bleach lasts once its open. I seem to remember 6-8 weeks was the recommendation lifespan but could be off by a couple weeks. But if you mix fresh developer you'll (probably) know after one print if the bleach is bad. I've never experienced bad bleach, only bad paper.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin