Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,759   Online: 857

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ala

Shooter
    35mm

Tiny film stripes ruining the negs

Is it just me or you also get a lot of tiny film stripes in your stabiliser and all over your negs?

I found out that after I wash the film in the stabiliser the solution turns into a horrible substance full of little brown dots and stripes. My guess is that these are the parts of the film itself which appear because of the film is beings scratched by the reel during loading/unloading.

Now I pour my stabiliser through the cotton cloth after every use and wipe the film with the cloth soaked in the stabiliser.

What do you do to eliminate the film damage?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi ala,

which film, stabilizer; temperature and concentrate? Can you explain in details your work flow?

Regards,

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It would be useful to know the film, chemistry and process you are using.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    It would be useful to know the film, chemistry and process you are using.
    In the same second - same questions

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ala View Post
    Is it just me or you also get a lot of tiny film stripes in your stabiliser and all over your negs?

I found out that after I wash the film in the stabiliser the solution turns into a horrible substance full of little brown dots and stripes. My guess is that these are the parts of the film itself which appear because of the film is beings scratched by the reel during loading/unloading.

Now I pour my stabiliser through the cotton cloth after every use and wipe the film with the cloth soaked in the stabiliser.

What do you do to eliminate the film damage?
    Never had this issue. Stabilizer always remained clear. However the only time I've ever seen "little brown dots/stripes" in any solution was with the developer. Old developer. Can you elaborate?
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    35mm
    As others have said, tell us everything about your process. Bore us with the detail. A lot of posters leave things out without meaning to and it always takes longer to arrive at a cause(s)

The more time you take to tell us everything, the shorter time we'll need to give you an answer.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Filtering a solution using a cloth as a filtration medium is not a good idea as fibers from the cloth may be introduced into the solution Use coffee filters or even better filter paper.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ala View Post
    My guess is that these are the parts of the film itself which appear because of the film is beings scratched by the reel during loading/unloading.
    We need you to inspect the film rebates carefully with magnifying glass to confirm guess. And why have you said unloading?

And yes it is easy to damage film loading it into spiral it needs to go on readily without force.

ala

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for the prompt replies!

I use the Jobo ATL 1000 machine, Rollei Digibase C-41 chemicals and this result appeared first when i processed 1xArfa Vista roll+Portra 400 and then it repeated with 1xAgfa Ultra+1xPortra400.

Both times those were 135 rolls and 270ml of every solution of the Developer/Bleach/Fixer.

After the machine was done i put the films into a separate container with 640ml of Stabilizer solution (576ml of water+64ml of Stabiliser as said in the manual) and was agitating it for 1:30 min as said in the manual.

I inspected the film edges, they have scratches on the very edges. It really looks like the stripes are coming from there. Posting the picture of this nasty stuff in a few minutes.

I mentioned loading and unloading assuming that these are the moments when the film's edges touch the plastic and can be scratched. This is only my silly guess because the film goes on and off the spiral easily without force.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ok sorry I unload reels by springing the film out so there is little opportunity for damage given the film is wet and the emulsion is soft.

I appreciate some people don't do that.

All I can suggest is soak the reels overnight in strong sodium carbonate solution and scrub the channels with used toothbrush afterwards.

Sometimes I get rebate damage loading but never with modern films like C41 and it is not extensive. And I do need to filter the stock solutions or discard afterwards...

Had all the films edge damage?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin