Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,975   Posts: 1,523,636   Online: 1099

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Fuji Stuff

The news of an improved line of films from the Fuji company is music to my ears. However, I find particularly discouraging the claim that the new films are designed specifically with better scans in mind, along with the optimization of the new Crystal Archive II papers for laser printing. While digital is great and I make the occasional scan myself, shouldn't these new films be optimized for those who have staid the course and continued to use the analog processes? I'm worried that they've played around with the grain in such a way as to reduce acutance and sharpness to make for better scans at the expense of traditional printing or that things have gotten to such a point in the photo business that they have to upsell the digital integration of a product even with minimal improvements in this regard.

My tuppence.
    ~Karl

Images
    If a business is going to stay in business it must keep up. Especially a big one like Fuji. If they were some little specialty shop then no they could afford to cater to those who have staid the course. My hope is that they considered the traditionalist as they made the changes toward scanning. By the way what does better for scanning mean?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do use a lot of 400 speed film for air photography, but I can't remember ever buying a 24 exp film of anything. I rather miss the 72exp films Ilford used to do. I am also getting more and more trouble finding 220.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    If a business is going to stay in business it must keep up. Especially a big one like Fuji. If they were some little specialty shop then no they could afford to cater to those who have staid the course. My hope is that they considered the traditionalist as they made the changes toward scanning. By the way what does better for scanning mean?
    I agree, but have the same concerns that you do, especially concerning Crystal Archive II. Then again, I'm a big Kodak guy myself, so this really doesn't impact me. Still, competition is good for business, and I hope that Kodak will follow suit by upgrading their line (while keeping the analog route in mind of course).

Regards.
    ~Karl Borowski

Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    I do use a lot of 400 speed film for air photography, but I can't remember ever buying a 24 exp film of anything. I rather miss the 72exp films Ilford used to do. I am also getting more and more trouble finding 220.

David.
    How can you fit 72 pictures into a single spool of 35mm? I thought that anything above 40 was pushing it, let alone 72. Or was there some sort of slightly larger cassette that Ilford used?

~Karl

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmIs4Ever
    How can you fit 72 pictures into a single spool of 35mm? I thought that anything above 40 was pushing it, let alone 72. Or was there some sort of slightly larger cassette that Ilford used?

~Karl
    Or perhaps a much thinner film base?
    Steve

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Ilford 72 exposure rolls were a thin base -- but there was still the major problem of finding a developing reel (or even a dip-and-dunk system) that could handle film that long (in a leader card or roller process C-41 system, it's not a big deal, of course). Also, some modern cameras may have problems if they don't sense end of film before about frame 40, but it doesn't matter much -- AFAIK, no one now makes a 35 mm film thin enough to put 72 exposures in a standard cassette.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just received what appears to be the last box of Ilfocolor Paper available from B&H. I ordered RA-4 developer, Tetenal Press Pak C41 Kits ... and - seeing the scant supply of Ilfocolor available, Fuji "Crystal Archive RA4" paper. The description of the Fuji papers was not very specific, so I choose CDII, (I think).

I placed the order Monday, around noon, a tad worried, after reading about the "B&H Warehouse fire", - to be shipped "cheap" three day ground. The first shipment arrived Tuesday, shortly after noon(!!!), and an additional shipment "from a different warehouse", today, Thursday, at 11:00 AM. Faster than usual service. My fire - related fear appear to be groundless.

Now... the Fuji paper ... Came in a cheap, Brown box, A foil package of paper, and ...*NO* data sheet of *any* kind, or any other literature. Nada!! Nothing except the label on the box. I visited the "Fujifilm" website ... The description of "Fuji Crystal Archive CDII" stated that it was expressly designed for "Digital Printing"... Nothing at all about film image printing. I searched for a "brochure" ... none available. Data sheet? ... None available. An e-mail address to inquire about what the heck was going on? ... also NONE! To reach Fuji Tech Support I'll either have to snail mail, FAX or telephone, none of which appeals to me.
    Has anyone here tried to print with Fuji Crystal Archive papers?

I have *NO* idea of what is going to happen when I try to use this stuff. I'm fairly sure there will not be an explosion, so I'll look at my first exploration of this paper as an adventure. I'll keep everyone informed.

That "Fujifilm"(?!?!?) web site is so strongly digitally biased, that it makes my eyes water.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://nt7.fujihuntusa.localweb.com/html/pro_paper.html

Ed there is an email link on the bottom of the page.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ed,
    I think the label should be green (p) or Red (c) and have a C or P on it (I think you have the P). I was unaware that Fuji made a digital specific paper. I operate a digital imaging contraption that is geared to Fuji and we use CA 2 P (or Konica Digital which I think is the same paper, but can't prove it). This is the same paper the portrait and wedding photog's rave about when shooting NPS or NPH.

The C paper is more similar to Ifocolor's paper in my opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin