Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,077   Online: 894

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Coffee? Is that true or a web-based fallacy?

I've never even considered developing my own color, but I was quite successful with my first roll of B&W, that it got me thinking. So I was doing a web search on how to develop color film (35mm), and got some hits on developing with coffee and washing powder.

Have any of you tried it? What were the results? (Samples would be awesome). It's almost enough to make me want to try it, but I also think my next outing would involve the hunting of snipes...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    *sits and waits for Jnanian to show up*

(although I think you'll find that caffenol is a B+W developer, and like most colour films in B+W developers, the resulting negs are B+W)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji Superia 200 in Caffenol C 30 min

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-Caffenol C 30 min  020.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	90723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-Caffenol C 30 min  021.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	90725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-coffee C-41 film  009.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	243.0 KB 
ID:	90726

Shooter
    35mm
    So it can be done, but the resulting negatives are B&W?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used colour scan settings on this scan but not a whole lot of colour comes through. As you can see the grain is quite prevalent
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-Caffenol C 30 min  004.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	652.7 KB 
ID:	90728

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a helluvalotta scanner noise in there too. Was it particularly dense (or thin)?
    Just curious as to how the base of Caffenol-devved films comes up (either B+W or colour stock)? Is it anything strongly-coloured that might interfere with Multigrade papers?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The negatives were very thin so I didn't want to bother ruining more C-41 film. I mostly stay with b&w film for coffee developing.
    Best reading I've found was "The Caffenol Cookbook & Bible"
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 07-09-2014 at 12:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The one time jnanian doesn't show up... But maybe now that I've posted here he will
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirks518 View Post
    So it can be done, but the resulting negatives are B&W?
    Very simplistically, color film consists of three black and white emulsions in color-sensitive layers. In color processes like C-41 the initial development is B&W to convert the silver image.

So, if you only develop with a B&W developer, then fix you get a dense B&W image. If you follow-up the initial B&W development with the color developer, bleach, etc then you get the colors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jnanian is in Europe at the moment, visiting his in-laws, and may have limited access to APUG while traveling. Coffee developing is quite simple and quite effective, but in my experience, you have to like rather thick negatives. John calls them bullet-proof. They do not scan well but print with surprising ease. I have been trying to absorb his casual attitude about proportions in the mixing of the developer ("about this much of this and a smidge of that...") and I think he is on to something. My last experiment was with cold-brew coffee (what was left of a package of decaf that had been sitting on the counter too long was added to cold water and let sit for two days, then filtered). 16 oz of that with 4 Tbsp washing soda and about 1/2 oz of 6 month-old Accufine. I did a roll of TMP 320 that had been over-exposed and a roll of Extreme 100 (Photo Warehouse). The TMP came out great, the Extreme was really dark. Both were done at room temp, which was pretty warm, perhaps 80 degrees and let develop for about 12 minutes with regular, gentle agitation (1 min., then 10 sec every minute).

I do not suggest anyone else adapt this casual approach to developing film, unless they have a total disregard for repeatable results, as I do. It keeps me from being a serious photographer, but then, I do believe that "serious" is over-rated in most things. I shoot, develop and print for my own enjoyment, occasionally making art along the way. If you're not having fun, in my opinion, you're doing it wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin