Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,204   Online: 858

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Calling all chemists

I'm getting closer to ordering my chems for the E-6 stuff.

The first developer uses phenidone. Can I just sub metol instead? Adjusting by using 10X the amount of metol instead of the phenidone in the formula?

Can I use Sodium Borohydride in the reversal bath instead of potassium borohydride? If so what sort of adjustment?

edta na 4 is EDTA Tetrasodium?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    I'm getting closer to ordering my chems for the E-6 stuff.

The first developer uses phenidone. Can I just sub metol instead? Adjusting by using 10X the amount of metol instead of the phenidone in the formula?

Can I use Sodium Borohydride in the reversal bath instead of potassium borohydride? If so what sort of adjustment?

edta na 4 is EDTA Tetrasodium?
    yes you can substitute metol.

Uh...are you sure it is sodium borohydride? Sodium borohydride is water reactive, it will generate a flame. You better make sure this is the right ingredient.

yes Na4 is EDTA tetrasodium.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can't help you with the borohydride (though it hasn't been that many years since a reversal exposure was used before the color dev, no foggant needed), but I can tell you that any developer that will give you the right contrast will work in the first dev. That said, be prepared to expend a lot of film on testing to get the first dev right if you start changing the formula; you'll have to (almost) start all over fresh on the first dev times. Yes, metol at 10x the phenidone will be close, but might require adjusting pH or exact metol quantity to get it right, or else adjusting the first dev time...

You don't need to worry about grain etc. in first dev, of course -- all that silver gets bleached out anyway, not even a dye cloud to show for its ever having been there. All you're concerned about is getting the contrast and speed right, and likely not taking all day (though at E-6 temperature, that shouldn't be a major problem). Oh, and not leaving too much undeveloped silver in the highlights, which will show as fog in the reveral/color dev...

Might be interesting to try HC-110 as a first dev...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No the reversal formula is:

Stock solution:
    0.2 g potassium borohydride
    10 g sodium hydroxide
    Water to make 100 mL

Start with COLD water, dissove the NaOH (it will get warm).
    Put in KBH4.
    Add water to make 100 mL

Working Solution:
    12 mL Stock Solution
    Water to make 1 L

The potassium borohydride is kind of expensive so was hoping the sodium could be used. I guess I could use light instead of the chemical bath.

I'd rather use metol because I already have it and I get the impression phenidone doesn't keep.

Shooter
    Large Format
    How much sodium borohydride will you be using? or IOW how much pot BH4 does the formula need? You might be able to use the sodium salt if you dissolve it in very small amounts and do so very carefully.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    With that mixture ratio between potassium borohydride and sodium hydroxide, I can't see why the difference between sodium and potassium could be significant. Molar weight is different, so be sure to make your conversion properly - and maybe substitute a pinch of KOH for a pinch of the NaOH just in case.

I checked: You'll need 0.14 gram NaBH4 to replace the 0.2 gram KBH4.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Oh Heck, if all you are mixing is 0.14 grams, go for it. As Ole said it is not a significant amount and will not represent any danger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cool-) The supplier's smallest size is 60 grams for $90. That's a life time supply but if it doesn't turn out right -( The sodium is a little cheaper and comes in smaller sizes to.

Thanks

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    No the reversal formula is:

I'd rather use metol because I already have it and I get the impression phenidone doesn't keep.

Phenidone keeps just fine, both in the powder form and in stock solutions where the powder is mixed either with isopropyl alcohol (at least 90%) or propylene glycol. It will keep indefinitely. My little jar of Phenidone powder that I use to mix the stock solutions has been around since Noah came off the ark, and it's still potent.

Larry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Coming to this one late, but... potassium borohydride in organic chemistry is a bit less reactive than the sodium version. But this is in organic solvents and when organic reductions are being performed. For the reversal process you just need a general strong reductant and I don't think it would make a big difference, although you may need a little longer in that particular bath.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin