Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,177   Online: 839

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Problems with exposure or developing

I had two C-41 rolls developed recently and one of the had basically nothing on it, completely empty - film edge markings looked good, the other one was very pale, the edge markings as well, barely visible.

Can someone tell me what could be the cause of it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi maciek,

can you give some more info: you developed the films or lab? They were shoot on the same camera? Films are new, both same brand?
    Post some pictures of both films if possible.

Regards,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,

No, the blank one was Portra 400, the other one was Portra 160, they were new, probably about a year till expiration. Developed by another person probably in Jobo processor.
    Both shot using the same camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If edge markings are fine, development was fine. If the frames are still blank, film was underexposed or unexposed for whatever reason. If both frames and edge marking are pale, then something must have gone wrong in the lab.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    If edge markings are fine, development was fine. If the frames are still blank, film was underexposed or unexposed for whatever reason. If both frames and edge marking are pale, then something must have gone wrong in the lab.
    It's completely blank though, you can't even see any difference in transparency. Shouldn't there be difference even if the exposure was wrong?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The usual cause of something like this is that the film never advanced through the camera. That's usually caused by a loading error, for example the sprocket teeth were not engaged in the holes.

Generally even severe under exposure would show faint images.

After loading, do you snug the rewind knob and verify that it turns as you advance?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maciek View Post
    It's completely blank though, you can't even see any difference in transparency. Shouldn't there be difference even if the exposure was wrong?
    If the exposure if off by more than four or five stops, you will end up with 100% blank frames. In reality, it's more likely that your shutter never opened, so I suspect some camera defect or malfunction. I've had this once with my Mamiya RZ67, its battery was dead and it fired all shots with 1/400 s. Dependent on light situation I had completely blank frames and some underexposed ones on that one roll.

All this still doesn't explain the one roll with pale edge markings, though, but maybe your lab can give you an explanation.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    This other person with a Jobo presumably is not a lab but an amateur in a home darkroom? The first film with good edge markings but nothing else suggests as others have said that the C41 process was good and problem lies elsewhere so if the second film was developed at the same time by the same individual and resulted in faint image and faint edge marking then it suggests that the second C41 process wasn't good hence my question about the person with a Jobo.

I cannot make the good edge markings and faint edge markings on two films add up with no image and then faint images.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    If the exposure if off by more than four or five stops, you will end up with 100% blank frames. In reality, it's more likely that your shutter never opened, so I suspect some camera defect or malfunction. I've had this once with my Mamiya RZ67, its battery was dead and it fired all shots with 1/400 s. Dependent on light situation I had completely blank frames and some underexposed ones on that one roll.

All this still doesn't explain the one roll with pale edge markings, though, but maybe your lab can give you an explanation.
    I used the film that came out blank at the same time i used B&W film that came out good, i just switched the backs when i needed color, i suppose it's possible that something went wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    This other person with a Jobo presumably is not a lab but an amateur in a home darkroom? The first film with good edge markings but nothing else suggests as others have said that the C41 process was good and problem lies elsewhere so if the second film was developed at the same time by the same individual and resulted in faint image and faint edge marking then it suggests that the second C41 process wasn't good hence my question about the person with a Jobo.

I cannot make the good edge markings and faint edge markings on two films add up with no image and then faint images.

pentaxuser
    He is an amateur but his processing has been good before, it looks like i'll have to ask if something went wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin