Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,251   Posts: 1,660,356   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cinestill 800T in 120 - Kickstarter

There's now a Kickstarter for CineStill 800T film in 120, presumably made from 65mm film stock.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...um-format-film

I for one am very excited about this, long live film!

San Tan Valley, Pinal County, Arizona USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 1960's are long gone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the first available that can be processed in c41 chemicals w/o issues.
    Yeah, many of us shot motion picture film before these guys sold it as such.

The movie I'm working on now is shooting Imax 65mm. A 1000ft costs $1500 and lasts a whole 2 min 47 seconds. Not cheap when you have two cameras rolling.
    I suggest if you buy into their kickstarter and want this film, to buy all you can afford when it becomes available.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Check out my low volume sheet film tanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Firstly, it's great to see more sellers venture into film. And film based camera making. I applaud cine still for trying this out.
    On the film itself, on kick starter, It says 25$ a roll -and the minimum pledge will only sell to the US. (only after 100$ it ships out, I think)
    I'm not sure if they've thought through the market pricing well there.
    At 25$ , I can get 5 pack portra at 35, I can get Fuji 160 delivered home(Japanese version). And about 3 rolls of portra 800. All 120.

While I would've backed it if pricing was better and film stock info was available and stock not limited to US alone.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree, the pricing seems a little on the steep side, but perhaps it's similar to New55 in that you're effectively investing in the company buying machinery. Your return? The chance to shoot a high speed tungsten film in medium format. It'd be good to find out whether they're planning on selling it for less once they get going.

Shooter
    35mm
    Kickstarter isn't for selling finished product. It's for raising funds to do more R/D and start production. It's not fair to compare their reward tiers to the price of products that already exist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is a common mistake on crowdfunding sites. People think the pay a price for a finished product. That is how a lot of companies use it as well. However officially it is not allowed. So yeah you are not paying 25 dollars for a roll of film but rather you are paying that amount to make sure production can actually start. As a token of appreciation you get a roll of film.
    At New55 the product price was communicated I don't know if Cine Still has made a target price avaible when the film is for sale.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter de Groot View Post
    That is a common mistake on crowdfunding sites. People think the pay a price for a finished product. That is how a lot of companies use it as well. However officially it is not allowed. So yeah you are not paying 25 dollars for a roll of film but rather you are paying that amount to make sure production can actually start. As a token of appreciation you get a roll of film.
    No, you're mistaken to state so, in this case.
    Cinestill doesnt 'make' the film, they repackage it.
    They're repackaging it in 135, and this is about the same. Sure, they get by with charging 13$ a roll for 35mm.
    But 25$ for repackaging film and only delivering it in a specific place - with no idea of availability after!

This isnt like an Ilford special order either.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The FAQ section on the Kickstarter page says they aim at a final price of 10-12 USD/roll assuming kickstarter campaign is successful...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    They've also developed a process for removing the remjet without damaging the emulsion, so it's a bit more than repackaging.

I'm wondering, however, about the thickness of the base. There was a problem with the first generation of T-Max films, as I recall, being issued on a base that was too thick, and some cameras were getting damaged by it, so it was reissued on a thinner base. Current T-Max 120 is 4.7 mil. Anyone know what the base thickness of Vision 500T 65mm is? I can't seem to find it on the spec sheet for the film.

It would be great if it works.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin