Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,890   Online: 987

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hate when that happens

I went hiking a couple weekends ago with my daughter. Took my EOS-3 along loaded with some Rollie CR200 and we hiked up to Krugers rock near Estes Park ( Colorado ). Few shots along the way then several shots of Longs Peak and other nice views of the area. Got around to processing it yesterday looking forward to seeing the results. I use a Jobo CPE2+ and have processed many many rolls without an issue. I put this roll through like any other. I use the wash hose to wash the film in the tank, as I pop the cog lid off to put the wide mouth lid on for washing I noticed something odd, and then that oh crap moment hits me as I realize the cog lid did not have the funnel installed. I finish washing the film and as soon as I dropped the roll into the stabilizer I could see that the images were damaged. I hung the roll to dry and could see one edge of the roll was clear and sprocket holes projected onto most the frames........sigh. Some of the images are salvageable, fortunately this hike is only an hour away and we will be doing it again. There was nothing truly unique about any of the shots so no real loss. It could have just as easily been a roll of one of a kind, once in a lifetime shots. I don't know how this got by me, have never had such an issue before in the decades I have been processing film ( maybe an indication that I have been doing this for many decades ). Hope it never happens again. I guess I write this as a warning to double check what you are dong if you process your own film.

Joel

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the warning. I had close calls with my patterson tanks and the screw on lid before, but luckily nothing has gone wrong yet.
    What did happen twice though is that I opened the bottom of my M6 before rewinding the film...

Shooter
    35mm
    My commiserations. I hadn't given this much thought until I saw your post but on reflection I think I have avoided this by "breaking up the Jobo tank into its constituent parts" after each processing, washing all parts, drying them in a print dryer and then re-assembling the whole tank while the film dries. I treat this as if it were part of the film development process so there is never any likelihood of omitting a part from the tank.

I was not always so careful with keeping developer and fix apart and have ended up with one completely clear film.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't ever recall leaving things apart in the past. Something must have distracted me after my last run that I did not properly put things away. Something I will pay attention to..... at least try to.

Joel

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin