Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,904   Posts: 1,555,836   Online: 790

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Water Marks on Negatives

I am at my wits end here. Every roll of 35 mm I develop has water marks or some sort of white substance on the surface.

A soak in distiller water with a drop or two of Kodak Photo-Flo fixes it. but have I made the negatives susceptable to fungus?

I use the unicolour kit (Dev-Blix-Wash-Stabilizer). I mix the stabilizer in distilled water and add a small amount of Kodak Photo-Flo.

Strangely, when I develop my 4x5 Ektar I do not have this issue.

Any suggestions anyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you dry the film at a 45 degree angle from vertical?

The stabilizer may already have its own surfactant in it.

Kodak stabilizer is quite cheap.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here's what I do - works for me. I used to find water marks despite using wetting agent but only on the shiny side of the neg. Now I do a final rinse with wash aid in a spare tank with the negs off the reel, then I hang and "squirt down" with a squirty bottle filled with a wash aid mix to flush any possible specks, then I have a small lens cleaning cloth hanging on the neg hanger which I use to carefully pass down the shiny side only, spreading and absorbing the big drips that potentially cause the water marks. Seem to have this beaten now. However, It may be my problem in any case arose from the old Johnsons washaid I have been using (inherited from the pro-photog I bought all my kit from). Maybe fresh wash aid would also eliminate.

Shooter
    35mm
    As I understand it, if you have had to use photo-flo after stabiliser to remove the water marks then to be safe you should stabilise again.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Water Marks on Negatives

Don't use Photo-Flo with C-41 film -- just stabilizer only after washing.

Photo-Flo is for B&W film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgallb View Post

A soak in distiller water
    How long you keep the film in distiller water?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My Bad. I hadn't spotted the thread was about C41. My comments relate to B&W

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Going back to the OP's question, I have had exactly the same experience with my current Unicolor kit. White streaks from the stabiliser necessitating a second wash in PhotoFlo. Since the stabiliser contains a wetting agent I thought I would be clever and add a few drops of PhotoFlo to it, but I still get the marks. I think I will continue to use PhotoFlo after the stabiliser.

Chris

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Don't use Photo-flow, just dunk and agitate in de-ionised water for about 30 seconds before drying. If you still get water marks, they only form on the shiny side of the neg. When dry, place the negative shiny side up on a clean surface and breathe on the shiny side as you would when misting up a mirror, then wipe with a clean lens cloth. This should do the trick.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How does PhotoFlo damage colour negatives? I assume it must and didn't know that until reading this thread.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin