Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,302   Online: 943

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Slide films?

Shooter
    Medium Format

Slide films?

Any suggestions on how to pick a decent 120 & soon 35mm slide film, or even one that may be considered "professional"? Is Fujifilm Velvia 100 120 Color Reversal RVP 100 Film slide film? Thanks everyone for the human non Google search touch!
    Last edited by aRolleiBrujo; 10-01-2014 at 09:45 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: 120 & soon 35mm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All Velvia is slide film. Colour Reversal is slide film. I think all that's left is "professional" slide film, apart from old stock discontinued stock of Elitechrome etc.

There's Agfa Precisa CT which is made by Fuji if you want something less expensive in 35mm.

Otherwise, currently made stuff, there is

Velvia 50, Velvia 100, there's also Velvia 100f though I think that was discontinued recently. And Provia 100f.

If you know where to look you can still find Kodak E100G, E100VS, and Provia 400X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pick one that's available, in other words FUJI anything.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, both those are slide films.

You have few choices today in new films, though there are some new old stock older films still available. Assuming you want to buy currently still made film your choices are:

1. Velvia 50 - very saturated and contrasty
    2. Velvia 100 - similar to but slightly different from the 50, but still saturated and contrasty
    3. Provia 100F - less saturated and contrasty but still rather so compared to films formerly available like Astia and E100G.

All those are made by Fuji. There are also:

4. Agfa Precisa 100 - widely believed to be repackaged Provia 100F, or an amateur version of it (the distinction isn't important for most purposes.) I've used it and can't tell the difference from Provia 100F so I agree with this.
    5. Witnerchrome or some similar spelling, sold under a variety of names by different importers and made in Germany. Speed is ISO 200. Rumors vary on whether they are going to make more or are just selling off existing stock. Many people have had problems with very yellow images but reports vary on whether this has been fixed.

Basically you have two speeds of very saturated Velvia to choose from, and one relatively "normal" 100 speed film, packaged under a couple of brands (the Agfa-labeled version is usually a bit cheaper which is why many of us use it rather than Provia 100F) and one from Germany with variable reports. Speed choices are 50, 100 and 200 if you include the German film.

It's not like it was even a few years ago when we had Astia (sigh) and Provia 400X (sigh) and a choice of good films from Kodak as well, all (sigh) gone now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    It's not like it was even a few years ago when we had Astia (sigh) and Provia 400X (sigh) and a choice of good films from Kodak as well, all (sigh) gone now.
    Go Ferrania...

Everyone try to contribute something if you can. Even just a small amount.

It's possibly the last, best hope.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've shot 5 rolls of Ektachrome E100VS from the last batch, and 5 rolls of Velvia 100, all 120 and shot in my Mamiya RB67. I processed them myself using the Arista E6 kit from freestyle, honestly I liked the E100VS better than the Velvia. Of course the Velvia still looks amazing, and since Kodak is no longer making Ektachrome Velvia is much easier to come by. I've been telling myself I need to get some more Velvia and another one of those E6 kits but I just haven't got around to it yet.
    Yashica-Mat, Yashinon 80mm F=3.5
    Gossen Luna Pro F

Shooter
    35mm
    5. Witnerchrome or some similar spelling, sold under a variety of names by different importers and made in Germany. Speed is ISO 200. Rumors vary on whether they are going to make more or are just selling off existing stock. Many people have had problems with very yellow images but reports vary on whether this has been fixed.
    It is repackaged Agfa stock made in Belgium as it is stated on the Wittner site. You can read all about it here: http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/ka...ad/en_3004.pdf

Yeap, go Ferrania!
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thank you very much fellow filmopians! i will try to decide tonight and hopefully eventually use them and send them in and display my results! now, i wonder if i have the ability to get the proper colors and exposure!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Slide film is for making slides.
    Get yourself a projector.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Slide film is for making slides.
    Get yourself a projector.
    I had those intentions many moons ago, and even though I had a slight clue what film was, a very kind German man form fredmiranda forum aided me in trying to shoot film, however, I suffered from a very severe analysis paralysis as one fm member pointed out, and, well, a year or so later, I not only shot film, I also developed it as well, to top it off, it was an experimental developer, caffenol to top it off! how I wish I shot my Rollei 6008 Pro prior to liquidation! I had my eye on one of those fancy Rollei projector's however, medical bills ran amok, however, the best part is, my daughter lives, and cancer within has not! God blesses us with fantastic scientist and doctors! xD

Emily Dickinson (1830–86). Complete Poems. 1924.

Part One: Life

LXXXIX

A WORD is dead

When it is said,

Some say.

I say it just

Begins to live
    That day.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin