Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,514   Online: 1297

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Trouble shooting inconsistent development results

Occasionally I have been having issues with over-development, discoloration, or both on a single frame of a 120 roll. I'm not sure exactly what is causing this as I don't have things like this happen when I develop black & white, it seems to only happen with 120 film in c-41 or e-6. I am using a Paterson Multireel 3 tank and do pre-wash my film. Has anyone seen something like this before and what could be the culprit?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15474786432_07e72ddf99_z.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	95755

Shooter
    35mm
    Can you say what it is that is wrong with this and is it a scan of a neg or scan or a print? You may have gathered already that I really cannot see anything really wrong. There may just be a hint of a red/magenta cast but there may not. It depends on the light that is reflected from underneath the plane.

If the rest of the negs on this film are OK then I cannot see how processing is at fault.

Are there other negs you could show us that have a bigger range of colours and form a larger part of the frame. A picture of mainly sky and a largely one colour object which is the plane may not be the best frame to use to illustrate the problem.

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    pentaxuser, there are clearly visible horizontal cyan streaks between plane and lower frame border. I have had similar streaks with C-41, also only with 120 roll film but never with 35mm film, and these streaks went away for good when I started using a stop bath after the CD step.

If seven10 has similar streaks with E6, he could try using a stop bath after FD. Since CD runs to completion in E6 processing, there is no need for stop bath after E6 CD or any of the later steps. Any B&W stop bath will do, be it Acetic Acid or Citric Acid.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Rudeofus, I will try using some of the stop bath I have. I never thought of that before. It's odd, but this issue pops up very randomly. The only thing that has been consistent about it is that it seems to happen on frames closer to the center of the reel.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    BTW there was a similar thread here on APUG a few months ago.

Shooter
    35mm
    Rudeofus, you may well be right but how does the stop bath problem affect only one frame? I cannot work out how a stop bath "washing the whole film" as it were can affect only one frame.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The effects which I got successfully under control by using a stop bath were mostly confined to homogeneous regions on the film. If there was some landscape with blue sky, only the blue sky would show the yellow streaks.

seven10, can you tell us whether the other frames contain similar or different subject matter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Rudeofus, you may well be right but how does the stop bath problem affect only one frame? I cannot work out how a stop bath "washing the whole film" as it were can affect only one frame.

pentaxuser
    I actually suspect the physical design of the Paterson reel could explain why the line is formed and around the same area. I'm not at home right now, otherwise I'd take a picture of the reel, but when the reel is expanded to fit 120 or 220 film some slots in the core of the reel become exposed and I suspect developer is getting trapped or circulated differently through there based on on how I agitate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    The effects which I got successfully under control by using a stop bath were mostly confined to homogeneous regions on the film. If there was some landscape with blue sky, only the blue sky would show the yellow streaks.

seven10, can you tell us whether the other frames contain similar or different subject matter?
    The other frames contain some of the same subject matter. I can upload some of my older examples later.

Shooter
    35mm
    sorry can't help at all but cool photo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin