Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,822   Online: 879

Shooter
    35mm

ECN2 Replenisher used as Fresh Solution?

I realise ECN2 is a bit to the side of this forum but I figured someone may have an answer for me.

I received some Kodak ECN2 Replenisher solution (Part A & Part B) from a lab that shut down and I'm just getting around to trying it out now.

I was wondering if this replenisher can be mixed as the primary fresh solution for development (and if so do would the A:B ratio be different) or do I need a different ECN2 mix for the fresh developing solution?

Thanks.
    Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It should tell you the ratio to make replenisher on the bottles etc.

An iirc, it's 750mL of replenisher in 1L of working tank solution, that's after starter is added.

As far as I can tell, since the formula is for both replenisher and working solution is also published for mixing it from scratch, this is what I came up with for mixing my own starter:

125mg/L Sodium Sulphite
    0.6g/L Sodium Bromide (0.7g/L Potassium Bromide)
    6.85g/L Sodium Carbonate (anh)
    2.25g/L Sodium Bicarbonate

You would use 750mL replenisher, then add the amounts above and add water to 1L of working solution. Of course you can make the above into a concentrate liquid such as 10x, and use 750mL replenisher + 100mL concentrate starter + 150mL water etc etc.

You can leave out the Sulphite.

You can just using 750mL replenisher + 250mL water and continue to use it and replenish it as time goes on too.

The process is 3min at 41.1c then into a stop bath where you can be more lax in your processing from the steps onward.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Athiril....hugely helpful

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you want more documentation, there is some here
    http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...h247_h2407.pdf

and here
    http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...ssing_h333.pdf

I can't remember of the top of my head exactly how much Part A and Part B make 1L of replenisher, but I think it was 200mL of A and 50mL of B. Anyway, check the packaging, you should be able to divide it down from that 200L or 100L figure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have not worked with chemical kits, only with raw chemicals.
    Kodak give formulas for developer working solution and replenisher.
    Athiril colleague gave you the link. http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...h247_h2407.pdf
    Effects of Mechanical & Chemical Variations in Process ECN-2 here:http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/h24_08.pdf
    Effects of Mechanical & Chemical Variations in Process ECN-2 refers to certain types of film.
    Probably for other negative color variations are a little different.
    In my opinion, if you want to use just only replenisher developer for ECN II proces, no water.- I add 0.4 g / l sodium bromide.
    If you have a ph meter check if you have 10.25 ± 0.05.
    The development of the test stripe will give the answer.

Note
    If these kits are slightly older might like color developer substance CD 3 have a lower concentration of the active form of 5.5 g / l.
    So it is closer to 4 g / l.
    No need to scare those graphics variations of photographic effect.

George

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin