Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,558   Posts: 1,621,753   Online: 1001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ilfochrome chemistry shelf life

Hi, I recently was given two complete boxes of Ilfochrome P3 chemistry, allegedly about 7 years old. You think there is a chance that the stuff is still good to go? If the answer is yes, I might try to look out for some paper and give it a try, but if the stuff is likely dead by now, I would rather bring it to the local hazmat collection right away, before investing any time and money in search for some paper...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The bleach is the only thing you can't make from scratch very easily, so its the only one you need to worry about. I don't know how long it lasts-is it powder or liquid or both (the bleach)? I think its worth a try, but...

The harder part will be getting good paper. It will have to have been frozen probably, to still be any good.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The kit consists of liquids only (bleach is three parts). I did some (very few, in fact) cibachrome prints in the late 80s that I still have around and they have kept beautifully. But I realize that the paper is really difficult to get nowadays and searching for it is probably not worth the hassles for me, so I might just give away the chemistry to someone who still does Ilfochrome and has paper stocked. Maybe at least the bleach can be of use for someone.

... update I found the instructions with the kit and they say that the concentrates will keep for three years below 20C
    Last edited by mnemosyne; 10-29-2014 at 08:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I suspect they are just fine...I actually have a couple of those kits laying around myself that I may try some day, but I'm not sure why. It would be like one last date with someone who already dumped you. If it turned out well it would just leave me wanting more...which is why I haven't mixed them up. I probably should though, to make a few more copies of my best prints to sell at exorbitant prices.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The unmixed P3 concentrates will probably be perfectly good. Finding usable paper is a different subject. If you do decide to get rid of the
    chem, keep the fixer. It's just ordinary non-hardening fix that you can use for black and white work. The bleach is mostly sulfuric acid, which
    you can neutralize a tiny bit at a time with baking soda - just be damn careful when I say a bit at a time! The developer is nothing weird in
    terms of hazmat - no worse than ordinary black and white developers. But somebody might be willing to buy the chem too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a few unopened P3 kits, not sure what to do with them though, wouldn't mind making some backlit prints, but again, paper sourcing.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

ilfochrome formula

Does anyone know a formula for P3 or has mixed up a similar one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The developer and fix are easy peasy; bleach is not. Developer is just B&W developer with a pinch of hypo, and rapid fix works fine.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Do-it-yourself developer will perform so-so, but it's been done numerous times. The fix is just ordinary non-hardening type. But you're not going to come up with the bleach - that would be hazardous to do anyway, even if you could replicate it. But without fresh paper, this is all just an academic kind of questioning. And you'd need a bunch of paper just to get past the learning curve.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

chemicals vs paper

There seems to be a fair amount of old paper available on ebay, but the chemistry is harder to come by.
    I wouldn't be afraid of making the bleach or handling sulfuric acid.

I just found the old posts on the subject from Wayne, so I tend to agree that I probably would rather work on more on my photo lab setup than try setup an organic synthesis lab at this time.
    Last edited by sfaber17; 11-03-2014 at 12:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin