Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,511   Posts: 1,645,213   Online: 1091

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What's your favorite currently available 120 color negative film?

Just as the title says.

I want to get the 'best' overall film for my (new to me) MF camera. I shoot a wide range of stuff from portraits to art, to landscape, etc. I'm looking for the best color, contrast, finest grain, and one that allows upto 16x20 enlargements with little to no loss in image quality.

I've never really use any of the currently available color film, so I don't know the differences between the Portra/Ektar/Pro H familes of film out there. Any other current offerings are welcome as well.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Kodak Portra 160. I have used it for ages. The Fuji equivalent is just as good and probably about the same price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My fave is Portra 160 also. But if you don't know the difference I suggest you shoot a roll of each. I tried Ektar and found that I like it sometimes and don't most other times. I don't think I would understand that as well as I do if I hadn't tried it myself.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    My fave is Portra 160 also. But if you don't know the difference I suggest you shoot a roll of each. I tried Ektar and found that I like it sometimes and don't most other times. I don't think I would understand that as well as I do if I hadn't tried it myself.
    This is similar to what I've found myself. I like either Portra for general use and it does well in nearly every situation, but if I know I want punchy colors and contrast, I'll bring Ektar along. Otherwise it's E6 and Portra.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, there is some quality about Kodak Portra that I can't find anywhere else. Also, there is some quality in Fuji Pro I can't find anywhere else, and...
    ... you know what? You really can't go wrong with the color films out there

Personally, I tend to like Fuji and Ektar more for outdoor/nature/architecture photos, and the Portras for photos concentrating on people - but that's just my taste (and likely lack of ability). However, I typically use whatever I have at hand regardless of situation, and am always perfectly happy with the film (if not my abilities).

Current color film choice is like a small but elegant buffet; they are all wonderful, so sample every one. Try each film across different situations, and find which best suits your tastes.

(Regarding contrast and saturation of films like Ektar or Velvia, I am not good, so am still learning them; but I like them immensely. For me, the learning is more when to best use them, not whether to use them.)
    Last edited by Truzi; 11-29-2014 at 01:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Portra 160 it is then. That was easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like Kodak Portra160 or 400 for portraits and Kodak Ektar for general photography.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like Portra 400 because I see little difference between it and 160 (some, but little) and like the extra speed. As others said, Portra for flattering people and realistic rendering, Ektar 100 for sharpness and saturated colors.

They're all good today.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk using 100% recycled electrons. Because I care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ektar by far. I like the Saturated colours, but it can get out of control wildly. Just need to know when and where.
    If you get a chance, check out my new Facebook Page, Kustoms On Silver!

Hoffy's Flickr Photostream (Not quite analog Only, but nearly!)

Shooter
    Large Format
    I sont shoot color neg that often, I'm an E6 guy. But when I do its Portra 400 or Ektar.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin