Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,781   Online: 1050

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laser
    Don't put more stricter requirements nor faith in gray cards then they are intended to provide. The cards are:

1. a reflective surface with specific diffuse reflection characteristics....
    I'm not sure why this was resurrected ...

Yes, I know all that. My concern was that the SCAN agreed, reasonably, with the original print.

My strategy was to scan the original grey card; and to compare that scan with the image of that grey card as photographed and scanned. If there was close correlation, I could be fairly sure that I was "pretty good" close. If not, I could set up "correction values" to use in modifying the scanned image to get "pretty close".

My MAJOR concern lies in the "analog" color print, not the image on the scanner. At the same time, it would be ideal if any and all of my images appeared to be "correct" on every monitor everywhere ... but I will NOT bust my buns trying to make it so, realizing that I have *no* control over all the monitors out there.

Hope this clarifies things.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would choose one of the cards to be your standard. Having done that and having made a negative of it, I would make a print that is an exact match to it in color and density. This will be a major PITA but necessary for best control. You could also make this standard negative with the card and with the type(s) of skin tone you expect to photograph. Then of course you will wnat to use the chosen card as your standard in the future.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Colour vision

Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    I agree! My wife, a graphic artist/illustrator/painter, can seemingly differentiate more colors than we mere mortals even think exist. I've long since learned to stop saying anything was grey. She'll say "No, it's _________!"

Cheers

David
    Hi David, I once read that women in general can "see" more colour than men, that's probably why it always seems so important to them, with female artists I would think it is even more so.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd View Post
    Hi David, I once read that women in general can "see" more colour than men, that's probably why it always seems so important to them, with female artists I would think it is even more so.
    Some people -- and only women -- apparently have an extra set of colour discriminators (I can never remember which are rods and which are cones) and therefore actually can see more colours. Then there are the ones who can see more because they care more, and the ones who just think they can see more; the last is a non-negligible group.

Cheers,

Roger

r-s

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Re cones -- most people are trichromats, but some are monchromats and dichromats (varying degrees of colorblindness), and it is suspected that certain women are tetrachromats (due to gender-specific genetic factors).

There are some non-human animals with more than four cone types.

For women with these extra sets of color discriminators, what are they seeing? Is it past the ultraviolet or pass the infrared set of the spectrums, or something else? I need to hire a gal like this to balance colors for me ;-)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin