Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,088   Posts: 1,635,908   Online: 1012

Shooter
    35mm

Magenta streaks in RA-4 drum processing

Hello, I started doing some RA-4 dev couple of weeks ago, I managed to get good results in trays in total darkness. What worked for me is that at 68F I develop for 1 min, stop for 15~20 sec and Blix for 2 min and then wash for about 5 min. It works good and I get consistent results. I've 8 x 10 UniColor drum and 11 x 14 and 16 x 20 Beseler drums and I've the Beseler rolling motor. I wanted to experiment with the drum so I tried the 8 x 10 UniColor, loaded the paper in and used 2 oz of Dev for 1 min, 2 oz of stop for 15 sec and 2 oz of Blix for 2 min. I always get magenta streaks and some parts of the paper isn't even developed and it stayed white. After troubleshooting I decided to add a wash step before the Blix, so I added 20 oz of water for 1 min and proceeded with Blix after that for 2 min. Same results so I'm not sure what's the problem here, The reason I want to get started with drums is that eventually I want to use the 11 x 14 and the 16 x 20.

Also couple of notes when I used the UniColor drum, I make sure that I securely close the lid, but sometime it spills droplets, not sure if this is normal or not. Also when I pour a solution back to its container I'm not able to pour all of it in the container and the solution volume that I started with is decreasing, so for example if I started with a container that has 2 oz, when I pour back to the container it's less than 2 oz, that means that some solution is still in the drum and I can't get it out. In fact that's why I decided to add the wash step.

I attached one of the images that I got.

Thanks for your help and Happy New Year
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to prewet the paper in the drum before you start the process. You may also need more developer, and you may need to check the level of the drum during processing.

Often, the decrease in volume is seen with developer because as the paper is being wetted for the first time, it absorbs liquid and the total free amount decreases.

Best of luck and keep in touch regarding your progress.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Doesn't really help with your problem but I am surprised that when tray developing at 20C you only need 1min. When I used a Nova tank( heated trays on their sides in effect) I needed 2 mins at about 24C. Once you have solved your problem I'd consider extending development time to 2 mins at least

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    pentaxuser is right. standard dev time for RA4 is 45s at 35C/95F. There is no way that 60s at 20C/68F could possibly work.

+ Try to at least double your dev time
    + when you work with drums, chemistry is normally discarded after being used once
    + as PE has already noted, make sure you have the necessary minimum amount of liquid that is specified for you drum and that the drum is level
    Last edited by mnemosyne; 01-01-2015 at 04:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys, with Kodak RA-RT developer replenisher and no starter, you use 1' at 100F and 2' at 20C. I missed that time in the OP. Sorry.

These times work and give just about the same color balance and contrast so you can process over a wide range of temps.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I also wondered about quantities but as the Unicolor drum is similar to the Jobo which calls for 50mls I'd assume that 2 fluid ozs which is 57 mls is right but certainly no harm is using more.

OP, is the undeveloped spot always in the same place and the same size? If the drum isn't level and the undeveloped spot is nearly always in the same place then it might suggest lack of developer in relation to the drum's position not being completely level

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to all of you guys for the time that you put to help me with my problem. I attached the same photo done in trays. I'm sure about the time and the temperature. I measure the temp couple of times in the session with a Paterson Color thermometer. I didn't mention the chems that i'm using. I use Kodak Ektacolor dev and blix with Ilford Ilfostop. I will make sure that the UniColor drum is level and I'll try to increase dev time to 2 min in the drum, but 1 min works for me in tray, please see the attached photo.

Also I want to say that I use the chems more than what Kodak recommends in their documents. I remember that I read somewhere that developer in open tray can be used up to 6 hours, I used it for probably 3 sessions each one can extend from 3 to 8 hours. I discarded the developer before I tried to test again with the drum

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Others have hit the main points of water pre-rinse, having the drum level on the roller, using a little more chemistry than recommended, and using the chemicals only once. I would sometimes get streaks using 2 oz. (60 ml) for an 8x10 and this was eliminated using slightly more chemistry (70 ml). I also get streaks if I drain the developer too long, but nothing like your results, just some streak lines parallel to the draining flow; I assume this means the developer keeps acting on these drainage lines because the streaks are thin darker lines. By not waiting until the last drop of developer is drained before adding the blix, these streaks have been eliminated.

I use Cibachrome 8x10 and 11x14 drums which have friction ends. This almost totally eliminates leakage compared to the gasketed Unicolor drums and the Cibachrome drums drain very completely. I keep the roller in a 16x20 tray to catch any minor drips.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The times are 1' at 40C in a drum and 2' at 20C in a tray. Please do not confuse the two.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin