Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,304   Online: 893

Images

A tri-x like color film

I don't have much experience with color film, I usually shot b&w, but now I'm looking for a color film with the following properties:
    1) easy to push or pull if needed;
    2) easy to store while on travel (not to worry to much about temperature can wait for some time before being processed);
    3) standard sensitivity ASA 400;
    4) good acutance;
    5) available on 135 and 120.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no C-41 process film that is "easy" to push or pull. Most pro labs can and will (for a price) supply push or pull processing, but it doesn't work anything like as well as with Tri-X (or any other B&W emulsion, for that matter). That said, consumer films like Max 400 are probably closer to what you want; I've seen excellent acutance and very good storage characteristics with the Max 400 I've used. Unfortunately, it's available only in 35 mm. If you must have the same film in 135 and 120, your only choices will be professional films, most of which are slightly less robust to storage conditions (though even those aren't that sensitive -- airport x-rays are more a problem than storage for a few weeks). For my own use, I very much like Portra 400 NC in 120, and would probably shoot that in 35 mm if I didn't find Max 400 so completely acceptable and much, much cheaper.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Slide or neg?

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NC or NPH, I think Nc pulls better NPH pushes better. Colour film by its nature is sharper than B&W. Both have a long tonal range. I prefer NC.

A slide film that responds to pushing and pulling with a long tonal range might be E200 or Provia 400.

Images
    Max 400? Is it the film sold in Europe as Kodak Ultra 400?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marcello.brussard
    Max 400? Is it the film sold in Europe as Kodak Ultra 400?
    I believe so, Kodak calls their film different names depending upon the market.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is Kodak Ultra 400 in Europe different than Ultra _Color_ 400?

If so, that is some really confusing stuff. UC 400 is _not_ Max 400 in the US.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, Ultra 400 is happy snapper film, UC doesn't seem seem to have reached us yet, which is a shame as I have just had it recommended on another thread.

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Three-strip, old-school! Use filters, shoot Tri-X

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin