Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,477   Posts: 1,644,390   Online: 823

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Question about Kodak Gold 200

In the specs of Kodak Gold 200 on B&H website it says that it has "Rich color saturation". I want to hear your opinion about that because personally after my first roll I think it suppresses saturation. What's your experience with that film?
    Akram
    https://500px.com/amellice

Bracketing is the refuge of the unknowing, a trial-and-error procedure that is wasteful of film and weakens the sense of disciplined procedure. Ansel Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    "Rich color saturation" is AdSpeak -- bullfeathers, hokum, nonsense, baloney. But methinks you can't really judge the quality from a single roll of film, either.
    true that's why I'm asking your opinion
    Akram

Bracketing is the refuge of the unknowing, a trial-and-error procedure that is wasteful of film and weakens the sense of disciplined procedure. Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I treat it like any negative film and over expose it some. It's inexpensive film but is capable of good quality prints.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I finished last roll from Walmart, which is not supporting film anymore, few weeks ago. Home developing.
    It was nothing spectacular in colors department with Walmart developing as well.
    It is cheap film, in terms of IQ. Some people shown good results from it, but I never get something special from it.
    I scanned our family archives few weeks ago and plenty of Kodak Gold films, which isn't up to its name.
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks guys for your response but do you notice that the colors are actually desaturated a little bit with it?
    Akram

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From a saturation perspective, I find it slightly muted. Superia 200 & 400 have brighter colours.

I like the slightly desaturated look. It reminds me of Porta 400, but it is lacking something special in the way that Porta handles skin tones and soft light (I don't know how better to describe it than that).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by amellice View Post
    thanks guys for your response but do you notice that the colors are actually desaturated a little bit with it?
    I think it depends on what you are comparing to. Digital is just so darned saturated. So is Ektar. Fuji Superia is closest to how I actually see the world (especially in bright hard light). I do find Kodak Gold to be slightly muted compared to how I remembered the scene in my head. If I'm shooting a 'calm' photo, it works nicely. If I was shooting a colourful bird or the Vegas strip, it would not be my first choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was on the design team for the first Kodacolor Gold 400. Our job, with the Gold films was to design in higher saturation by means of interimage effects, meaning purer and brighter colors. The goal was also higher contrast (about 0.7 as opposed to the pro films of 0.6).

IDK what they are doing today, but that is what the goal was then for Gold vs the pro films of the era. It was not HOKUM! I was there. I think you may have had some film that was just a tad underdeveloped, or some silver was retained, or you have a lot of flare in yours system. -- Or, Kodak changed their goals.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a sneaking suspicion that Gold and Colorplus is the same.
    I am shooting with both, to be honest I found no real difference.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...d vs Colorplus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did some of my best portrait work on Gold 200......on a FED2 of all things. It isnt saturated like Velvia but its a warm film which I love to pieces
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin