Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,473   Posts: 1,644,243   Online: 1037

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Superia Question

In Japan I see for sale, Superia film, Superia Premium, and Superia Venus. Anyone know the difference?

I'm off to shoot in Japan for a week soon and want to choose the best film. I dont know how to make a choice out of these three.

Thanks,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Love the USA versions, don't know anything about the Japanese versions.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy each and try them out, isn't that the fun of film? :P

Shooter
    35mm
    Choose the film you like and read the description: http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/f...ilm/35mm-film/
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    Choose the film you like and read the description: http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/f...ilm/35mm-film/
    How can I make an informed choice if I have no idea what the differences are between films? That said, it looks like Superia Venus is an ISO 800 film only so that helps a bit. I guess Superia "Premium" must be better than regular ol' plane jane Superia.

Shooter
    35mm
    Look at the film speeds. Then determine the saturation characteristics. I'm sure it's in the marketing or specs reports. Then pick one. Hint: why anyone would want a grainy 800 speed color negative film is beyond me. So that takes care of 1 of the 4.
    Last edited by APUGuser19; 04-15-2015 at 02:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by APUGuser19 View Post
    Look at he film speeds. Then determine the saturation characteristics. I'm sure it's in the marketing or specs reports. Then pick one. Hint: why anyone would want a grainy 800 speed color negative film is beyond me. So that takes care of 1 of the 4.
    Fujifilm's web sites barely acknowledge the existence of film (aside from Instax) so they are of no help. I shoot a lot at low light. There are not many options for film at high ISO so you take what you can get. One roll of Kodak Portra 800 was $17 the last time I was in Japan. I'll be shooting Fuji rather than pay that price.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds lie your choice is made, by reason of prudence and necessity. Question answered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting, I can't find anything on Superia Premium. We were in Japan last Spring, and I used a lot of Superil in ISO 400. Price was good (for Japan) and quality is great.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak, of all people, did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin