Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,783   Posts: 1,671,313   Online: 1090

Shooter
    35mm

Longevity of concentrated STAB

I have a bottle of concentrated formaldehyde based Tetenal STAB (stabilizer, 1:100 mixture ratio for creating stabilizer solutiion for E6/C41) that I have been using over the last year for slides. There is no printed expiration on it, but I believe it may have been made in 2010. Does anyone (PE?) know if formaldehyde based stabilizer lasts for a very long time? Or is it prone to oxidize or break down over time once opened?
    Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Formaldehyde solutions can become cloudy or throw down a white powdery precipitate. This is caused by polymerization of the formaldehyde to paraformaldehyde. However this can be prevented by the addition of a small amount of methanol to the solution. I would assume that Tetenal does this but you can check the MSDS for the stabilizer. As long as the concentrate is clear it should still be OK.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tetenal states in their instructions that opened concentrate bottles last for 24 weeks, the same as used working solution, yet I have never seen a precipitate forming in STAB well over a year old. This makes me wonder whether there is another mechanism at work which decays the STAB. Would Formaldehyde eventually diffuse through the bottles/lids and render the liquid ineffective? What about the biocide (1,2-Benzisothiazolin-3-one), is it prone to aerial oxidation?
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin