Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,484   Posts: 1,644,689   Online: 910

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

35mm slide film availability...

hello

A beginner to 35mm photography asks about color slide film, as well as the dr5 method for b/w transparency: http://www.dr5.com/

What is available for 35mm color slides? Do you prefer to shoot with slide film?

Here is a quote from Ken Rockwell:

For color, most pros shoot positive film (slides)....
    What you see is what you've got, and color consistency is critical in pro photography.

Slide film gives us the same colors every time. Slide film leaves nothing to interpretation when printed, projected or scanned, which is why pros who shoot color shoot slides. We get the color we want on-film, and every other stage in the production process will preserve and reproduce these colors.

Wedding and news photographers were the only pros who usually shot color negative film, and a lot of that was so they could have the freedom to botch a shot and have the lab correct it later. Careful pros in advertising and magazines always shoot slide film precisely because the colors they imagine while shooting can be reproduced exactly from the slides.

Do you share that point of view?

thank you

Dean
    Last edited by Dean Taylor; 05-01-2015 at 06:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,

I'm a big fan of Agfa CT Precisa 100 these days. There are all kinds of rumours circulating about its true identity, but whatever it is (almost certainly Fuji) it gives me excellent results and at considerably less cost than branded Fuji.

Best wishes,

Steve

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AgfaPhoto CT Precisa that is.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    AgfaPhoto CT Precisa that is.
    If we're being pedantic.

From Ag Photographic's website:
    "AGFA PRECISA 100, Colour Reversal (slide) Film. Now back in production offering superb value for this high quality film, and filling the hole left after Fuji scrapped Sensia. A great value film in 35mm with accurate colour reproduction and fine grain."

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Agfa don't make it, Agfa don't market it, the entry on the AG-Photographic site has a huge AgfaPhoto logo at the top of the entry and the box is clearly marked AgfaPhoto. I think you can most correctly call it AgfaPhoto Precisa 100.

Agfa do make, or at least fairly recently made a run of, an E6 aero-film -- but that isn't the AgfaPhoto stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rockwell probably wrote that more than 20 years ago. Once upon a time that was the prevailing opinion. OBE now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Slide film has eye watering pricing plus to develop it unless you very regularly do it at home, it is hard to find a lab, not to mention the pricing of lab processing.
    Other than that slides for me have the most beautiful colours and saturation however I barely can afford to shoot with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, It's all I prefer to shoot with when color is needed. It doesn't cost me more to shoot than c41 because I have a freezer full of it.
    What's available? C'mon! Go to b&h and do a search.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Film photography? This term kills me. As if there's another kind!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Taylor View Post

What is available for 35mm color slides?
    revised to (for my highly-strung friend @wild bill): what is available that you can recommend from first-hand experience?

okay, bill?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodachrome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin