Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,295   Posts: 1,681,427   Online: 954

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Closest thing to Ektar 100 in a 400 speed 120 film?

Anyone have recommendations for the closest thing to Ektar 100 in a 400 speed film in 120 size? I love Ektar's palette and contrast. I wish Kodak made a 400 speed Ektar, but they don't. Portra 400 is a great film, but it's not Ektar. If it's the closest thing, I'm fine with that, but if there's an offering from Fuji that will look more like Ektar than Portra, I'm open to that idea as well.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There's nothing out there in color neg with as clean or overall saturated, or with that kind of contrast. Other films have been marketed which saturate certain stereotypical hues while attempting to keep the alleged neutrality of skintones, but not in any reasonably balanced fashion like Ektar. They're all basically portrait films which have been tweaked one way or another, and will still render contaminated warm hues, what I term "mud". Portra 400 is an excellent product in itsown right, with remarkable fine grain for its speed, but will share some of those characteristics generic to traditional color negs. So that is about the best you are going to do. Fuji does have some interesting films, but not with respect to what you are hoping for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only fresh colour 120 films I know of that are 400 speed are Portra, Fuji 400H, and the one by Lomography. I think the latter two are more like Ektar than Portra would be, but I wouldn't say any are particularly close. The Lomo film also suffers from the fact the frame numbers will be faintly visible in all of your shots. 400H is a very nice film, but maybe not with the look you're looking for.

Try pushing Ektar to 400. People seem to have had some success with it, and it might be more in line with the tones you want.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by heterolysis View Post
    The only fresh colour 120 films I know of that are 400 speed are Portra, Fuji 400H, and the one by Lomography.
    I wasn't aware that Lomography produced films in its own right. If it doesn't then who does and to what specification?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can find some close dated Portra 400 VC it might fulfil your needs.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji 400H Professional is about the only game in town that hasn't been discontinued.
    Ben

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Porta VC was headed the right direction, but not really quite there. Might as well be using Ektar 400. Nearly the same animal, but improved. I cannot recommend pushing Ektar. If you understand how the color reproduction is made to work, you'll understand why. The exact characteristics you want it for will be pushed down those dye curves through underexposure and turned into mud again, where the dye curves
    start to overlap rather than are cleanly separated. Underexposure in bad for color negs in general. And in the case of Ektar, you have a lot
    less wiggle-room or latitude in general. It's a film for adults who know how to use light meters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had luck photographing fireworks with Ektar but I am holding the shutter open for awhile so I really couldn't say what the exposure index really is.
    Normally, my experience is that Ektar loves lots of light. I have never tried it but it seems under exposing would definitely be going the wrong way.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd push it personally. Even with standard exposure in borderline conditions (especially in sun) Ektar can take some underexposure, under exposed makes slightly grainy and higher in contrast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	160529134.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	111493

When the film first came out I made a series of tests and was really impressed by the latitude for a higher contrast emulsion.

Try a two stop push, with careful exposure you will be amazed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you looked into Rollei CN 200? Might be pushable to 400. Some people claim that is is based on a Agfa 400 speed film...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin