Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,461   Online: 1077

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Importing film into Australia

Hi All,

I'm currently investigating the possibility of importing one or two boxes of 4x5 sheet film (Fuji RVP) into Australia. There doesn't seem to be an equivalent 50 sheet box here which means I'm talking about 5 or 10 boxes from a local supplier at $50-$60 per box. B&H list the 50 sheet boxes at around US$87 plus US$27 for postage which given the current exchange rate is about one half to one third of the local price. Does anyone have any recent stories on importing film into Australia from the US specifically with regards to x-ray fogging and the like? Do B&H usually give you a decent expiry date for sheet film in particular? I do my best to support my local camera store but I'm getting a bit weary of lining the pockets of the Australian distributors especially since the last two boxes I bought had a magenta tint and a short expiry date.

Thanks,
    Roger.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My understanding is that FedEx doesn't X-Ray their shipments, so I would use them. I can't speak for B&H on film quality, as I generally use Calumet (they are also an APUG sponsor). I've never had any short dated film from Calumet, just great service and response.

Also, I see you are from Tassie. I wonder if you know Geoff Murray? I've been familiar with his work for sometime, almost visited there last year.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Roger

I can't tell you about importing film into Oz but I do buy film from B&H and have had no problems, although I did get a some 220 propacks that had less than 6 months left to expiry date. I tend to buy from them because they usually have whatever I need sitting on their shelves unlike local suppliers.

Clayton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Robert,

Thanks for the response. I just checked the FedEx shipping cost from B&H and it's US$75 which is more than the box of film. Also checked Calumet and they're US$104 per box plus US$57 for shipping via UPS (no FedEx or USPS option). It's still cheaper than the local supplier but not if I use the 10 sheet boxes. I know of Geoff and have looked at his website but have never personally met him. Must be something to do with the reclusive nature of LF photography.

Hi Clayton,

I'm guessing things would be similar to New Zealand - I live on the Western Island after all. Six months is about what I get from the local supplier as well and like you they have to order it in specially for me. For all I know the packages get x-rayed just as much as when shipping from the US. Which shipping option do use normally use?

Regards,
    Roger.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I import often from the good 'ol USuvA (I'm from there originally). I always request that the sender prominently write 'unexposed photographic film -- DO NOT X RAY'. I've never had film affected by apparent X ray banding damage. Just don't import more than $400.00 AU$ at a time (including postage) because if you do you'll attract customs, duty and GST.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't believe the US post office X-Rays packages either, and is much cheaper than FedEx. Global Priority is the way to go with them. Check this link for more information on shipping to Australia: http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immicl/immiclab_012.html

FWIW, I will be in Victoria (actually Bright) in October.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Images
    COuld someone here make the purchase for you and send it to you?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Roger,

I purchased a fair amount of sheet film from the US and had it delivered promptly, and apparantly without any problems. I would shop around though, B&H are not the cheapest (or give the best service).

Best, John.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Who do you recommend for Velvia John?
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tried Badger Graphics? Calumet seem to have slightly better list prices, but their delivery charges were over the moon, and (in my experience) didn't seem concerned about bringing them in line with their opposition.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin