Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,140   Online: 973

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Color Roller Transport Processors

I am looking for suggestions for a roller transport processor for my home darkroom. I would like one that does up to 16x20 and can switch between RA-4 and Ilfochrome fairly easily. Obviously the more reliable and easier to use the better. I don't think I need a wash or a drying module, but it would be nice. Also, one that holds a smaller amount of chemicals is better for me because I don't print a lot at one time.

Any suggestions?

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    I am looking for suggestions for a roller transport processor for my home darkroom. I would like one that does up to 16x20 and can switch between RA-4 and Ilfochrome fairly easily. Obviously the more reliable and easier to use the better. I don't think I need a wash or a drying module, but it would be nice. Also, one that holds a smaller amount of chemicals is better for me because I don't print a lot at one time.

Any suggestions?
    Sounds like a roller transport processor is NOT for you. They are for handling a lot of prints at one time and are ill-suited to leaving set-up with chemicals. I suspect that you'd be better off with a Nova type processor. Unless you do a lot of 16x20" prints I'd stick to the 30x40cm model and use a drum or something else for the 40x50cm prints.

If its gotta be a roller transport then in 30x40cm the Durst Printo machines are nice.
    If you are set on a roller transport that can handle 40x50cm then you probably should look at the Thermophot models.
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I should add that I can exhaust 2 liters of Ilfochrome in a weekend, and RA4 is cheap enough that I wouldn't mind wasting a bit since I seem to only use about 1 liter in a weekend. Maybe I should stick to the Jobo, but I don't like cleaning and drying the drums between prints. I was just thinking with how low all the prices are on traditional darkroom equipment now would be a good time to pick up something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Iford sold a line of processors that could be used for RA4 and Ciba and might also be configurable for RC B&W. I have used an older version that was dedicated to B&W and it was very hardy and had a 20" paper path. The base unit I believe was made by Thermophot.

I have used a similar small table top made by fujimoto that also had a 20" path. I don't know if the fujimoto was configurable for cibas and it did not seem as well made.

Your point about chemistry is right on. Mix a little bit more than what you need and print until your done. If you have chems left over and if you can displace the air in the replenishment tank it will easily last a a week or two.

Run water through your replenishment system and processor until the taste is gone.

(kidding about the taste thing)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

look for automated jobo

I would reccommend looking for an automated jobo like the atl2 or atl3 or autolab2200.

They are nice processors that do one shot processing. They really are simple versitle machines.

I print ilfochrome using a 31" kreonite roller transport.. they are tricky, expensive and use alot of space.

Also drying ilfochrome is tricky and critical... using a jobo you can pull it out hang it up and you're done.

I have also processed using a jobo with excellent, consistent results...

Do yourself a favor and buy an automated jobo!

Good Luck,

Corey

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Larry

I used a Cap 40 for printing cibas before I got my machine, It could do 9-16x20 or 15-20 11x14 in a weekend, very easy to maintain and clean up after a session. The only concern I would have is the dual speed and tempature required for using both products. There were threads on this topic in the past and the posters who used the machine may be able to help you out further.
    Ilford should have some info on this machine as they distributed this item.

DKT

parts and service are just about non-existent for ilford machines at this point....personally I'd steer clear of any processing machine made by them, or anything with their name on it even if the thing is brand new. they haven't made a machine in years, and they haven't made parts either. the only Ilford machine that you'd even have a chance of getting support on would be the 2 made by Kreonite. The Omnipro (ilfo rapid & b/w) and the 2240 for b/w. The rest are orphans now.....

I don't know if they can accomodate Ilfochrome, but you might want to look at Mohr processors. They're cheap and have good support. I use an Ilford machine where I work, and there's a lab next to me Colex machine on the way to replace an old kodak. At home I own a thermophot made Durst processor and a Printo. If I had to buy another machine now though, I'd go for a rebuilt Kreonite. Personally I've had it with the foreign made machines--no offense to anyone, but finding compatible parts is hard as hell in the US. Those Ilford machines? You can forget finding rollers and other parts for them outside of scavenging them off junked machines. Nobody can find parts for these machines, not even Ilford US. They don't even have anyone that can field a simple tech support phone call.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    DKT

I have an Ilford Exel 80 , colenta west german , model.
    I have excellent rapport with Colenta, parts are stocked and will arrive 3 days after order, The European machine is the best processor I have ever worked on and my experience with Colenta is first rate.

As well I have an 20 RA4 colenta processor and have recieved the same high level of support.

DKT

hey bob--like I said no offense to anyone about the european machines, but this Ilford processor we use takes different thread sizes for the internal plumbing parts and finding these little seals, springs, gears and the like is murder in the US. We almost had to get a worm gear cut at a tooling shop, but lucked out in buying a junked machine to strip a gear off of. If you have to replace a roller or something, forget it. You can't even get a water supply hose easily to fit this thing.

We've had an Ilford machine for over ten years now, and have replaced every part at least once including the body. the first machine failed within less than a year and Ilford had to replace it, even though it took forever for them to admit there was problem. We had a service contract for about ten years and they go into bankruptcy and tell us they haven't made parts in over 2 years....they were still trying to sell these machines brand new last year, and they couldn't even support them...now, they say they aren't even making the parts, so how do they even plan to support this stuff? Legally they're supposed to do it for 7 years, but they couldn't even supply a worm gear or a water hose, much less field a phone support call.

so forgive me, but I wish we had bought the Colex or the Kreonite models....not the Brand X, Italian made model that has integrity problems that cause it to cave in on itself and warp all the parts and cause hairline cracks in the plastic fittings, causing leaks....the one the Serco techs call the "soft mold".

This other lab, when it came time to replace their aging Kodak machine, they went with a Colex Studio 50. They were sold on the support from Colex, and the fact that they could buy packaged parts kits. I know they went with a service contract even though I think the company told them they were so reliable they wouldn't need it. That service contract? man, it's like 3500 a year on top of 15K for the machine....you can get a rebuilt 20 inch RA4 Kreonite with a warranty for about 5 grand. Plus, Kreonites are bare-bones machines and there are service shops all over the country.

I look at it like our Wing Lynch machine-- there's nothing that can go wrong that we can't fix ourselves. The dealer we use--we can call him up and he talks to us free on the phone and walks us through the repairs. He's a nice guy--but in an experience with Dunning recently, they were the same way even though no sale was in it for them.

Ilford is so different---they charge by the minute for tech support without a contract, and with the contract they just try to get you off the phone. We called them a few months ago after a hose busted on the machine, and they told us it was a standard US hose thread--which it ain't...it's a british thread, and it took about two days to get this sorted out and made a big mess...so, turns out that we get the hose off an old Colex machine from another lab. So what does that tell me about getting a Colex and needing a new hose someday? tells me to buy a kreonite, when I can go down the steet to the local plumbing shop and buy the parts I need.

I dunno--just a long drawn out bad customer service experience that I guess will only get better when the machine finally dies. I know I sound crabby, but I'm just trying to pass along some advice to anyone thinking they're going to get help by calling Ilford at this point. If you got the Colex, or the Kreonite--you can just call those companies and bypass Ilford altogether.

fwiw--I recently got an email from a guy in a large lab that uses the same model machine. He was trying to swap gears if we had a spare one...this lab is probably the largest I can think of that would be using this machine. If they can't get the parts, we're doomed.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    DKT

No offence taken, I totally understand the frustration of purchasing gear and it crapping out on one.
    When I bought my first hope from kodak , I immediately found a service tech handy with the hope, in fact he took factory training, when I bought the ilford machine , I did not take on Ilfords service contract with the as I knew they would be as usless as tits on a bull.
    What I did buy into was the Colenta name and I sent my service tech guy to Germany for factory training with Colenta and as well with Jobo, as we purchased two jobo machines. When he was in Germany he slipped into Switzerland to visit Ilford and was trained on quality control for ciba. I know this may sound excessive but since I have 5 thumbs it was basically my achilles heel in running a shop and without a good tech guy I would be sunk.
    Peter can fix any machine, and as well that Dunning fellow you mentioned seems to have parts for the Kodak(hope processor) so I can keep that puppy running as well.
    The secret I think is having a tech guy on hand who will fix your gear to factory specs and can speak their lingo.
    We have purchased an Italian Lambda and with it the service contract is 32K a year. The bonus is very little downtime and a well maintained machine.
    Colex - I think is the sister company or was of Colenta and I have only heard good things about them.
    I think you are wasting your time with Ilford as they only sold these products to promote the material through them.
    Best finding a good technican in your area and making sure they get a good rapport with the manufacturer of the machinery you have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin