Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,544   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

what exactly means "C print"

Sorry for my ignorance but, what exactly means "C print". It is more archival than other color prints? It's like Ilfochrome or Cibachrome?.

Forgive me, I'm not a color guy.

Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by danmennuz
    Sorry for my ignorance but, what exactly means "C print". It is more archival than other color prints? It's like Ilfochrome or Cibachrome?.

Daniel
    AFAIK it means cibachrome print (or any other print of likewise quality/material/printing process). Help me to see the light if I'm wrong.

medform-norm

Images
    It just refers to a color print. Bring a color neg to a lab and and you get a C print enlargement back. ...At least in the pre digital days.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    more on the topic, it is possible to made a "C print" out of a digital file? Out of a original analog digitized file?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by danmennuz
    more on the topic, it is possible to made a "C print" out of a digital file? Out of a original analog digitized file?
    I believe that a lab that uses a Lightjet printer will print a digital file on color photographic paper. Others know much more about this than me, though.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Neil.

Shooter
    35mm
    A C print is made from a color negative or internegative. C means chromogenic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    A C print is made from a color negative or internegative. C means chromogenic.
    Clair is right. "Resin-Coated Chromogenic Colour Print" seems to be the full technical term. I just looked it up, as I wasn't sure anymore. It's an expensive name for a color print. However, I also found (funny or not) websites stating that C-print means COMPUTER-print, explaining that the prints were made from digital files and printed with Lambda-prints.

In art environments, artworks are denoted as "C-prints" to make them sound more chic, expensive and to justify the asking price (photography is an expensive hobby...) Although I've seen other denominations pop-up the last few years.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A c-print is a "chromogenic print" or an ordinary wet print from a color negative (usually). This would include digital prints on the same paper, like Lambda, LightJet, and Chromira prints on Fuji Crystal Archive, even if they are from transparencies or digital originals.

Cibachrome/Ilfochrome prints are NOT c-prints. Cibachromes in gallery-speak are "dye-destruction prints."

Here's a good glossary of many of the common terms--

http://www.christies.com/departments...id=72&view=all
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent, David! The reply that ends all other replies. I've bookmarked that right away (save something for a rainy day).

Funny, whenever I click on the 'quick reply' link, I still automatically get the 'quote' at the head of the new post. Is that just my computer being weird or what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin