Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,541   Online: 1183

Shooter
    Medium Format

Portra VC for Skin Tones??

Is the VC too radical for skin tones... I have shot several roles and have been very pleased with the results... Planning on using for a wedding... SHould I switch to the NC??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not in my opinion, but NC is far better.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In what way, if you don't mind me asking... I see something that is not "normal" and I grab it... Whats the major difference?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    VC saturation is a bit high for some complexions -- ruddy-skinned people tend to look really angry. VC just isn't very gentle for skin, which is fine for perfect skin, but a little on the harsh side for the other 95% of the population.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I worked with a guy who used it exclusively. It had a tendency to enhance highlights (on the nose and forehead) as well as create some odd hair colour highlights. This was especially evident as exposure increased. Most of it was subtle and nothing to cause the jobs to be bounced. NC on the other hand is smooth from light to dark is easy to balance colour and has a palette that really complements skin tones of all types.

I say this, but tend to never shoot traditional portraits. You can probably disregard anything I say when it comes to portraits and skin tone. I would rather have a 2 stop pull on an 800iso film and have no contrast and the grain the size of grapefruits or crossprocess e6 materials so that the facial features float in a puddle of pure white skin than shoot a person so they appear as they ‘should.’

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Trust me, I understand your preferences.... My partner, on the job, is doing all the color, while I shoot B&W, Infared and E6 for cross processing....

Thanks for the input guys....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It appears to be very popular with the fashion pros

Shooter
    35mm

For my taste, VC and similar color negative films are too gaudy

I prefer NC even for landscapes. I do not prefer unnaturally gaudy colors.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin