Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,329   Online: 916

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Colour film slighty outdated

Hi

I have bought some C41 films that is slighty out-dated (expired october 2004, march 05 and may 05). It is Fuji 200 (not Superia), Fuji Superia 400, Kodak High Definition 200 and Agfa Agfa Ultra 100.
    Can I expect some side-effects? And which side-effects.

I bought the film dirt cheap for my Lomos where it doesn't matter if the colours are a bit weird (in fact it is more fun that way ), but I wonder if I can use them for more serious stuff without noticable colour shift or other side effects.

Greetings Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless they have been subject to high heat, I very seriously doubt you will see any color shift yet, print films are really underated as to their expiration dates and I have shot film several years out of date, with no ill side effects.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Cool.

I will do a test roll of each film and see if they are ok.

Thanks.

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Dave: it should be fine. I've used film much further out of date with no noticeable problem.

David.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    With print film, you can always correct minor color shifts at the print stage. With slide film, it is what it is.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW, when I was a starving student, I always haunted the out-of-date bins to feed the habit. A year out of date, stored properly, should be more than fine. My best find once was a roll of the old (1980ish) AgfaChrome 50, which still had correct color rendition 5 or so years later, after being stored in a sock drawer at my grandmother's. Lovely film; neutral rendition, low-contrast, and very natural. Shot it in the PA/NJ winter, and have some lovely, if very quiet, color pictures.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ok. There should be no worries then...although the film isn't professsional film and therefore not stored in the fridge

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fparnold
    FWIW, when I was a starving student, I always haunted the out-of-date bins to feed the habit. A year out of date, stored properly, should be more than fine. My best find once was a roll of the old (1980ish) AgfaChrome 50, which still had correct color rendition 5 or so years later, after being stored in a sock drawer at my grandmother's. Lovely film; neutral rendition, low-contrast, and very natural. Shot it in the PA/NJ winter, and have some lovely, if very quiet, color pictures.
    The RSX50 was a very nice film!! In someways it was/is better than Velvia

Shooter
    35mm
    Ive used superia that was outdated by 2-3 years and it was just fine. I also shot a roll of old agfa XRG200 that went out in the late 90s and was fine also.
    It takes alot to mess up color neg film.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would think you are in good shape. I am troubled at trhe thought of poor Morten not being able to develop something in Rodinal....at least not getting any color out of it. Morten, my prayers and thoughts are with you during this trying Rodinal free exercise.
    Last edited by Claire Senft; 07-14-2005 at 10:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin