Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,934   Posts: 1,557,028   Online: 1235

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue skies?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I agree that both grads and polarizers have the potential to look fake. A lot of people overuse polarizers, just because they are more common. I lean toward grads.

Remember that with a very wide lens, you can't evenly polarize the whole field, so usually it's best to avoid a polarizer in such cases, unless the composition lends itself to selective polarization and it can be done so it looks natural. I might occasionally use a polarizer with a 50mm lens on 6x6, for instance, but never with a 40mm lens.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist
    I'm shooting negs but it's not like I'm married to them Mainly shooting my kids. I had shot a roll of C-41 (iso 160 I think) and set the iso on my meter to 100. All the shots metered at f16 and 125....
    Alan.
    My film fridge is too far away to look right now, but I seem to recall that some grades of 160 are natural color or portrait film or something along those lines. If you are using that, then a change to a "VX Vivid Expression" type of C-41 might help.

Don't take this as gospel. I have not shot C-41 in quite a while so I may be off target.

j

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As usual, great replies! Thanks for all the help everyone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On 'blue sky' days, if shooting colour, I use a 100ASA colour negative film (Konica Minolta VX100 is my favourite) and a polarising filter.
    The attached photos were shot between 8.00am and 9.00am with an Olympus OM10, 50mm 1:1.8 lens and Cokin 49mm Linear Pola filter.

Andy.

Unfortunately a shadow spoiled the totem shot.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Easy answer - get hold of some Fuji Velvia 50 (not 100F) before they discontinue it. Aim at blue sky. Shoot.

See here and here for examples. Neither were polarised. The only filter was a Hoya HMC Skylight 1B, which all my lenses wear more for protection than anything else.

Hope this helps,

Frank

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    Easy answer - get hold of some Fuji Velvia 50 (not 100F) before they discontinue it. Aim at blue sky. Shoot.
    Frank
    Thanks Frank. I just called the only place in Utah that might carry velvia 50 and they have over 100 rolls. I'll drive up tomorrow and get a pro pack. If you're interested, they sell online and the velvia link is here: http://www.pictureline.com/product.php?id=1602

Have a great weekend

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin