Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,587   Online: 908

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue skies?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Blue skies?

I've been venturing out of my b/w studio and shooting color. I've shot some but don't know how to get good skies. Is it filters, film or what? I really like saturated colors so info on that would be sweet as well.

Thanks,

Alan.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Polarising filters for super-saturated blue skies, other colors that "pop", and better definition to clouds. Works for me every time.

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Images
    Graduated filters always look fake to me.
    The Polarizer is the the best way to go.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Images
    Are you shooting trannies or negs? How are you metering? What subjects are you shooting?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Are you shooting trannies or negs? How are you metering? What subjects are you shooting?
    I'm shooting negs but it's not like I'm married to them Mainly shooting my kids. I had shot a roll of C-41 (iso 160 I think) and set the iso on my meter to 100. All the shots metered at f16 and 125.

Any brands of polarizing filters recommended or do I just need to get one and start shooting?

Thanks,

Alan.

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use polarisers and grads in my colour work. They can both look fake. They can both look good. Depends how and when you use them.

A polariser can look pretty terrible if you over-polarise or with a wide angle lens, or ( in my opinion ) if the scene is largely dull though with a bright sky.

A grad can look unnatural if you forget that a sky is generally about a stop brighter than its reflection in water; or if you use a grad hard enough to leave a visible line across the photograph.

You need both in your bag and the time to look closely at the effect created to assess which if either is right. All of the usual fault modes are visible ttl. with care.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't use filters...

I just wait until the sky is the right colour, or I accept the colour it is:

Like this?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I should also mention that I'm shooting in Utah and I don't get up early, so the sky is gonna be hot

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist
    I should also mention that I'm shooting in Utah and I don't get up early, so the sky is gonna be hot
    When the Sun is directly overhead, the sky is polarized all around the horizon. No need to get up before noon .
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Images
    I overexpose my color neg stuff by up to 1 stop. In Utah, in the afternoon the sky is going to look washed out the closer to noon you are. If you want to saturate the colors go for the light between 4 and sundown. Since you are shooting your kids a polarizer is going to slow you down by two stops. If your kids are like mine, 2 stops lost will make you lose a few shots because the little boogers are moving too fast.

Are your skys washed out and kind of dull? If so shooting in the later afternoon should make them look better. You could also shoot the Portra VC to punch things up.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin