Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,744   Online: 804

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Dug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ed - I have always mixed the P30 kits one at a time, for one liter of prepared solution. If I use the 5 liter kit mixed 1 liter at a time, do the stock solutions need a burst of butane in the top to keep the oxygen away or any other weirdness to preserve them?

EdM

Quote Originally Posted by Dug
    Ed - I have always mixed the P30 kits one at a time, for one liter of prepared solution. If I use the 5 liter kit mixed 1 liter at a time, do the stock solutions need a burst of butane in the top to keep the oxygen away or any other weirdness to preserve them?
    I mix one litre at a time and nearly always use it within a week. I almost never mix multiple litres. Two or three weeks have never been a problem for me. After mixing, I store it in brown plastic 16 0z photochemical bottles. Over the 25+ years I have used Cibachrome/Ilfochrome, I have only had it spoil once - that was when I returned to half full containers after a two month hiatus. My darkroom temperature is pretty well controlled at 65-70 degrees depending on the season.

My question for the group has to do with both the Classic and RC print material life. Has anyone used it when it is more than a year out of date, and what attendant problems or failures have there been?

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdM
    My question for the group has to do with both the Classic and RC print material life. Has anyone used it when it is more than a year out of date, and what attendant problems or failures have there been?

Ed
    I've recently made some prints with some CLM1K paper which expired in January 2004. It printed fine although it has been in the freezer since it was purchased. The only problem was that it needed a bit more magenta (7CC) than I would have otherwise guessed given the suggested filter pack. I did have some problems with some old CPM1M paper (stored room temperature) a couple of years ago. It ended up with some rather severe colour crossover - it lost a large proportion of its red response and after adjustment with filtration I ended up with cyan highlights.

Roger.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdM
    Why is it of almost no use to the amateur photograher? The 5 litre kit will (according to the Swiss source) be mixed one litre at a time just like the 2 litre kit was. Considering the keeping properties of the stock solutions, I can live with that.

Ed
    ...unless, of course, if it would come fractioned in 5 one-litre bottles.

Which I strongly doubt: that's the point...
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

EdM

Ilfochrome P3.5 - 5 litre kit

My supplier delivered the new P3.5 5 litre kit today. Price? I don't know- he hasn't received the invoice.

P3.5 is all liquid. It is not separated into 5 - 1 litre kits. However, the instructions given allow for mixing 1 litre at a time. Obviously, I do not yet know the keeping properties of partial containers of stock solutions. When I hear from Ilford Tech Support, I will post.

Regards,
    Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ras351
    After using the P30 kits for a few years I've been playing around with my own developers in order to resolve the contrast issue. Results so far show promise. Firstly the developer is basically a normal B&W developer with a small amount of thiosulphate added to remove the masking layer. Personally I've been testing with the Beers formulas which for lower contrast uses only the metol developer, with the thiosulphate added at a rate of 0.1 to 0.2 grams per 100ml of developer (ie 30ml Beers A stock + 60ml water + 0.1 gm thiosulphate). This develops a silver image in the paper for each of the three layers. I can't see any reason why you couldn't use a normal multigrade type developer (with thiosulphate added) if you're happy with a normal contrast image. Dilution and time can be used to tweak things slightly. You can also use phenidone/ascorbic acid developers if you have a reaction to metol.

Roger.

I'd be interested to know if you have any real success with this, I tried numerous divided developers a few years ago and had very little luck lowering the contrast. I contacted someone who had used the same formulas successfully to lower contrast in the past, and he claimed the emulsion changed a few years ago and it no longer works. That was my experience, and I finally gave up trying.

jon
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was at Henry's in Toronto the other day, there was a single P30 kit still there in the ever-shrinking darkroom section. $45cdn I believe.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a P-30 kit that I am holding for ran$om. Before I release it I want the Americans out of Iraq, Afghanistan, and the USA.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Folks,
    I've done web searching and found the new 5L kits at:
    UniquePhoto - makes you buy 4 of the 5L kits...
    Adorama may get the 5L soon, but the 2L is not being produced
    B&H - has it, but still won't ship...
    RainierPhoto - takes a phone call
    Calumet - will arrive 8/05

I've got one 2L kit left and will use it with great ceremony!
    I'm totally commited to Ciba, and will use any chems that will work!
    The 5L will work for me. I'll use 2L in the ICP42, two batches, and make
    the big ones in the Jobo Drums with the remainder.
    It sounds like I should stock up on the poly in sheets ASAP!

Long live Ciba!!!

EdM

Quote Originally Posted by davetravis
    Hi Folks,
    I've done web searching and found the new 5L kits at:
    UniquePhoto - makes you buy 4 of the 5L kits...
    Adorama may get the 5L soon, but the 2L is not being produced
    B&H - has it, but still won't ship...
    RainierPhoto - takes a phone call
    Calumet - will arrive 8/05

I've got one 2L kit left and will use it with great ceremony!
    I'm totally commited to Ciba, and will use any chems that will work!
    The 5L will work for me. I'll use 2L in the ICP42, two batches, and make
    the big ones in the Jobo Drums with the remainder.
    It sounds like I should stock up on the poly in sheets ASAP!

Long live Ciba!!!
    The all liquid P3.5 - 5 litre kit includes instructions for mixing one or two litres at a time. My first one arrived today. I began printing Cibachrome in 1978.

Ed

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin