Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,806   Online: 845

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Where to get Ilfochrome P-30

I called every photo store in town that keeps darkroom supplies. None have Ilfochrome P-30 kits or Ilfochrome paper. One has had the P-30 kits on backorder since January. They all say they simply can't get it anymore.

Adorama is out of stock. B&H has it but won't ship it. Freestyle has Arista 2 liter kit, but not P-30. Calumet is out of stock.

I've done a bit of RA-4 printing from negatives, but I've never made R-prints before. I just want the experience of making contrast masks and producing one or two decent R-prints before the process entirely disappears, but then I think I'll be done with it.

Anyone know where I can get a P-30 kit and some Ilfochrome paper?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Simply: nowhere. And though Ilford is out of bankruptcy, I guess Cibachrome/Ilfochrome won't be produced any longer.

Search on that-famous-auction-site. Some stuff pops up occasionally (not more often than once in 2-3 months).
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's disturbing. Perhaps I am too late, then. There appear to be supplies of the P-3 commerical materials still in the pipeline. Those no longer produced either?

What of the Arista kits. Are they rebranded Ilford kits?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The sky's not quite falling, but there is a big ozone hole!

I know B&H has it. I saw several kits personally on the shelf a couple of weeks ago. Maybe you can arrange with another APUGger to get it for you from B&H.

What about Samy's in LA? Last time I was there, they had several kits on the shelf. Vistek, Henry's and Toronto Image Works in Toronto, Canada should also have it. Check out Central Camera in Chicago, they had lots when I was there a couple of years ago.

It would help to tell us where you are geographically too.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford's colour division in Switzerland was not effected by the problems with the B&W division in the UK and, according to Ilford at the time, was trading normally. No idea if it was, or not, tho. In any event I would guess that distribution was probably hit.

Many local stores have probably switched to being inkjet paper suppliers now so your best bet is probably online/mail-order.

Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm in Texas, Art. I called all the camera stores in Dallas that I know carry darkroom supplies, and none have the P-30 kits. Sadly, two of them thought I was talking about E6 film developing kits when I never even mentioned E6. They all told me it was getting very difficult to get any darkroom supplies anymore. I find that difficult to believe.

I'll check those other places you mentioned and see if they'll ship. Thanks for the suggestions!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just sent an email off to the Ilford US office to ask about P-30 kit availability.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    did you check uniquephoto.com?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Skip
    I think you should be enquiring about P3x chemistrys with Ilford US, I run P3X at my lab in a Ciba machine, as well I know of others who run in Jobo.
    Cibachrome is not being discontinued to my knowlege, I am not sure about the RC version.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's my understanding that the only part of the Ilfochrome chemistry that's in any way different from standard B&W paper chemistry is a bleaching step that either rehalogenates the silver image so it will fix away, or directly dissolves it. The color image is formed by destruction of dyes (already present in the emulsion), and do not depend on dye agents in a developer step as is the case with C-41, RA-4, and E-6 chemistries.

I don't know whether the bleach is similar to those used in B&W reversal or C-41/RA-4/E-6 processes, or whether it has a component that contributes to or performs the dye destruction -- but it should be possible to find out. If the Ilfochrome paper and transparency materials are still available, the chemistry kits may be simply a convenenience...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin