Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,557,002   Online: 1135

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

1st velvia 50 for 4x5... :-)

just my first pack of velvia 50 iso in mail. when these come back,are they like every other slide film-in that they come back mounted? just curious. i haven't heard alot of talk about velvia here...is this like dutch elm disease or something?? i live in washington state and velvia works wonders here. as when i lived in texas all i used was koda. 64 does anyone have any pictures taken with velvia sheet film 4x5, or larger? i also heard that it really hard to get pictures from trans. film in large format, anyone know why this is?? anyway, hope to hear something about this. until then...take care!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hmm just interest but what about Dutch Elm disease? We have it here (in Holland) but is it something you don't like talking about?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear SinarF1user,

Your velvia will be returned unmounted. (Although there are 4x5 projectors out there for a really impressive "slide show".) You should have no trouble getting prints made. The film will likely be drum scanned and printed on an ink-jet or RA-4 digital printer. (There are, of course, other types of scanners and printers as well as Ilfochrome.)

Dutch Elm disease was the talk of the town in Chicago when I was a little kid. They had to cut down an awful lot of them (Elm trees that is.<g>). Mostly Maple trees now.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ah... Well they still cut down a lot of Elm trees here every year, so many that I'm actually kind of surprised when I walk into a bunch of them... Hmm, 4x5 projected Velvia, that must be stunning Maybe you could should some elm trees?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Dutch Elm disease...man, I haven't heard anybody talk about that in 30 years. I remember it sweeping through Minnesota nad Wisconsin when I was a kid.

Slide film in 4x5: I came to 4x5 almnost directly from 35mm so, the big color slides just blew me away even without a projector. I hear that one can still get a "real" print from a slide using the Ilfochrome process and materials but, I haven't yet found any labs that will actually do it anymore.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Really? Here in Perth we have Churchill Colour Laboratories who do 4x5 Cibachromes. Its no more expensive than using any other film. Theyre also one of the few places in the world (apparently Ive heard), that have worked out how to do Digital Cibachromes.

Well done Cibachromes just trounce anything else available. Analog or Digital, you can't beat the wet process. I'd question the eyes or skills of anyone who says otherwise.

In the shop window they had a 4 metre (approx 14 feet) wide by 1 metre horizontal print. Stunning.

Daniel.

Heres the address for any aussies, though I know a large proportion of their business is international.

Churchill Colour Laboratories
    80 CHurchill Avenue
    Subiaco W.A. 6008
    Australia
    Ph: 61-8-9381-9688

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GaussianNoise
    Dutch Elm disease...man, I haven't heard anybody talk about that in 30 years. I remember it sweeping through Minnesota nad Wisconsin when I was a kid.

Slide film in 4x5: I came to 4x5 almnost directly from 35mm so, the big color slides just blew me away even without a projector. I hear that one can still get a "real" print from a slide using the Ilfochrome process and materials but, I haven't yet found any labs that will actually do it anymore.
    Bob Carnie's lab in toronto Canada does Ilfo/Ciba-Chromes. I have seen the work and it is outstanding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dutch Elm disease...man, I haven't heard anybody talk about that in 30 years. I remember it sweeping through Minnesota nad Wisconsin when I was a kid. [...]
    Our main street was once like a dark tunnel of Elm trees that swept over both sides of the road, making it a respite to walk during hot, sunny days. All gone.

OB Photo - No pictures of it can be found. I wonder if it was either too difficult a subject or taken for granted.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Velvia 50 is my favorite 4x5 transparency film. You can have spectacular "Cibachrome" (now Ilfochrome while it is still available) enlargements made by a competent lab.

FYI: A number of the APUG members have recommended exposing at EI of 40 rather than 50.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A&I will do contact sheets and enlarged contact sheets from 4x5.

http://www.aandi.com/trans.html#contact

I haven't asked if they will do enlargements from a 4x5 transparancy, though.

I did ask at Calypso for a 6x9 transparancy, and they said it would involve a scan.

Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin