Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,724   Online: 911

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

polaroid time zero print longevity?

Hi, I am thinking of having some fun with a polaroid sx-70 and time zero film (for manipulations). I am curious what the lifespan of the prints are, say hinge mounted on archival board and framed in UV glass. I am not sure if we are talking 1-5-10-20 years or more?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I can't imagine it's that great. If I were doing these, I would dupe the keepers on 4x5" transparency film for storage and possibly enlargement.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    that is a great suggestion david, i went the other way (SHHHHHHHHHHHH) to make enlargements.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sean,
    be careful as the lastest edition of this film is not manipulating very well, Polaroid is aware of the problem and are working on resolving the problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some time zero prints that have been kept in the dark - a filing cabinet - that are 15-years old. They seem fine. I have another couple of SX-70 shots that are more than 20-years old (not sure if that was time zero or the older SX-70 film) that have been hanging in normal room light (no direct sun) under plexiglas - they look fine to me.

I have other prints that are about 10-years old that have begun to yellow in the white areas. I know that the film was nearing expiration at the time I made the exposures. I think that's the reason for the discoloration. 10-years ago, I could still buy the film at Walmart and Kmart, but the stuff sat on the shelf for a long time.

I'd be sure to get fresh film, but as Ann says, the newest batch seems bad for manipulations.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Psssst, Ann...Alex...we have another potential convert!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The dyes used in Polaroid prints are similar in nature to those used in Ilfochrome prints. The difference is that the rest of the chemicals are also present which may contribute to the longevity of the picture in an integral format.

So, I would guess that peel apart prints would last longer than integral prints, but that is just a guess. My boxes of both types of prints that have been around for nearly 20 years look just fine.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    wow, had no idea there were issues with the new stuff that's great to know. Any idea what epiration date I should look for?

A potential convert yes I've actually thought about putting together many manipulations of downtown auckland then selling them to tourists. I've never seen a sx-70 manipulation in NZ, so it would be a unique trinket to sell..

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I read over the past week suggests Time-Zero with expirations through March 2006, at least, is okay, but newer film may not be.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    A potential convert yes I've actually thought about putting together many manipulations of downtown auckland then selling them to tourists. I've never seen a sx-70 manipulation in NZ, so it would be a unique trinket to sell..
    Go for it Sean! I've had the same thing on my mind though about longevity. I'm not so worried about the original print as I am about reproductions. I've printed a couple of mine on watercolor paper using our Canon inkjet printer. But now I read that the Canon ink only lasts about 3-5 years.

I'm somewhat skeptical of any of these longitivity reports. I was thinking about just spraying the repros with Krylon clear matt finish. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin