Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,689   Online: 1014

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cyan background. Should I care?

I pulled a print out of the tank. The background is cyan. The rest is perfect. Not close. Perfect. I'm the only one who would notice the off background. Should I accept the off background?

Could the old bleach be an issue? The developer and stop are fresh. If it was a chemical issue I'd expect a bigger screw up then just the wall. No?

For what it's worth IIRC the film is Agfa Optima on Kodak Supra.

Shooter
    35mm
    There should be no problem caused by re=bleaching. It is impossible to over bleach the film since the purpose is to remove 100% of the silver. Of course you must use care to avoid physical damage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm just having problem believing it's a chemical issue. Everything else is just perfect. Skin tones everything.

One thought I've had is it was bounced flash. I'm wondering if the bounce didn't light the wall enough to totally overcome the room light.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What color was the background? I ran into this once and it turned out to be fluorescent brighteners in the wall paint. Evidentally, there was enough UV from the flash to cause the cyan fluorescence.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's off white. A warm off white. Cream? The sort of neutral wall paint that gets used a lot.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't know if I was doing anything wrong, but in some cases I've found that reaching a perfect colour balance on all tones was just impossible. If I would concentrate on skin tones or the grass or whatever else, I just couldn't get the background to be anything else than - guess which color? - cyan. Though the slide was just perfect.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I printed the rest of the roll. It's fine. Now the enlarger settings are a little lower on the yellow so I'm guessing the cyan is some combination of the flash and the room light.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin