Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,719   Online: 812

Shooter
    Multi Format

Color Neg sheet film processing problems

I have had three different pro-labs ruin my 4x5 color negs with inconsistent processing in the last year. I live in Rochester so I took the results to Kodak. It seems that the labs are not using enough burst agitation in the dip and dunk machine which leaves a "mottled or splotchy" look to the clear sky. One lab uses a JOBO rotary tube machine and that left streaks down the right side of all the film. I shoot with readyloads, I've tried different emulsions with both Fuji NPS and Kodak Portra VC and both films exhibit the problem - (Fuji is very slightly less) I also shot Tmax 4x5 and processed it myself and got good smooth tone in the clear sky. I have been working with large format for nearly 20 years and have never experienced this type problem.

Anybody else experiencing problems with getting their 4x5 color film processed? Can anyone suggest a truly good professional lab? Possibly one in NYC?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry don't know any in NYC. If you do your own B&W yourself, it isn't a terrible jump to do the color too. Paterson (among others) offers simple chemical sets for at-home C-41 developing. Process time is so short you can be printing your negs faster than you could find a place to park in the city to drop 'em off
    The Darkroom Studios ~ Brad Walker
    27 North Centre Street ~ Merchantville, NJ 08109
    856.488.1546 info@thedarkroomstudios.com
    "Film Ain't Dead Yet!"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesvia
    ....<snip> Anybody else experiencing problems with getting their 4x5 color film processed? Can anyone suggest a truly good professional lab?
    I've recently sent a small order to Calypso Imaging as an experiment. We'll see how it goes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree do it yourself. It's a bit mind numbing. Not exactly the most exciting thing but it's fairly simple.

Odds are you're paying enough to the lab to quickly pay for any additional equipment. Assuming you need any extra.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear jamesvia,

I have used River City Silver in San Antonio Texas several times, all with good results. The local shop I use is more of a "drop it in the box" setup where you have to deliver and pick up yourself.

Neal Wydra

My 4x5 Portra 160 goes in my 3010 expert drum with 10oz of fresh chemicals. Never had a processing problem. I use the Tetenal Press Packs so I know old the stuff is.

I gave some to a dip and dunk pro lab once. Came back looking like it got glued to the bottom of somebody`s shoes. Never again.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin