Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,122   Online: 925

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Airport scanning danger

On Sunday I passed through airport security with 3 exposed rolls of film. One 200ASA Scala slide, One 400 ASA Ilford XP-2 and one Agfa 160 120 roll film. the airports that scanned the film which was in my carry on camera bag were Boston and Washington (DCA) ALL film was left with NO images on the film. I haven't checked the other film in the bag that was not exposed but these were all lost. I have no other explanation as these were taken with three different cameras and not exposed to heat ro extreme cold and were removed from the cameras within 30 hours of passing through the airports. thought this was not something to worry about but guess I was wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't imagine the x-rays completely wiping out the film, the only thing I have ever seen from x-rays is fogging, and I have only seen that a couple of times in ISO 800 speed film, but to completely wipe out film, that would really be weird.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Dr David Hall]... ALL film was left with NO images on the film.../QUOTE]

Just to be sure, is the film clear or solid black?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    X-ray damage has always been fogging in an irregular pattern in the few examples I've seen.

Did you take all this film to the same lab? Did they process the Scala and perhaps the other rolls as something else?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had this happen with B&W when the lab processed it as C41......
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would also be interested to hear if the film was totaly clear or totaly black?

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also, is the edge printing visible?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I travel all over the world on a regular basis with my cameras (mainly LF and MF), and the usual tons of film. I have never had any film that went thru as carry-on fogged. This includes everything from FP4 to Delta 3200. I also do not use lead bags to shield my films.

I suspect your problem originates with your camera.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Where did you send the film to be processed? There are only three labs in the US who develop Scala.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sorry to hear of your troubles

from the kodak site:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi...01.shtml#SEC47

there are examples of x-ray fogging.

i have traveled back and forth from boston to europe ( heathrow, paris, frankfurt, basel / bal ) post and pre 9-11 --- with everything from asa 50 to 3200 ( color and black and white ) and luckily it showed no effects from the xrays. like eric, my film was not in lead bags - some was carry-on, some was in the luggage ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin