Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,943   Online: 934

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

"Finast" private label film.

Since not many places were open yesterday here in the Excited States (July 4th holiday) and I wanted some 35mm colour neg film, I ended up buying some 200 speed labelled "Finast", which is a private label brand distributed in various supermarkets and drug stores in the northeast, perhaps elsewhere.

The film is stated to be made in Italy. Does anyone know if this means this is a Ferrania product? If so, what are your experiences with it?

I'm using the film for casual shooting, as I would not commit something important to a film I hadn't tested. My reason for choosing it over Kodak was that I'm simply unhappy with Kodak's implied "roadmap" for film imaging, so decided not to give them my money. (I'll draw the line at Kodachrome, though. Please don't take my Kodachrome away!) As far as Fuji goes, I've never been a huge Fuji fan, though I don't find their films to be "bad", I just wanted to try something different. Besides, the Finast was enough cheaper that I thought, why not?

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Is this color or B&W? If color, as I suspect it is, another forum might be more appropriate.

In any event, AFAIK "made in Italy" on a film box is a sure sign that it's Ferrania; if another Italian film manufacturer exists, I've not heard of them. A few years ago, Ferrania was much grainier and had much more subdued colors than other manufacturers' films. I believe this difference is much less pronounced today, but I've not used much Ferrania film of late.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought Ferrania bought out the 3M color division and is now using 3M technology.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're right, it's colour and it should have been posted in the correct forum. DUH! In any event, I'll find out soon enough what the stuff looks like. If it's still somewhat grainy and subdued, it might be a good choice for certain subjects and situations and be a good film to have available. I remember Agfacolor 1000 as a grainy but quite wonderful colour negative film. And I tend to like more subdued or natural colour over super-saturated for most things... more Zen meditation than revival meeting is my style.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Earl. Closed the second thread and moved the original to the color section. Most importantly though I'm testing the moderator waters as I need to learn how to do all this stuff and this seemed like a helpful and innocuous way to begin.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have shoot Ferrania under a couple of off labels from the $1.00 stores in my area. The ASA 100 is not bad, the 400 is not to my liking. For cheap color I use WalMart 200 which I think is Agfa high definition. The worse is Lucky, one the minilabs has an older Fuji printer which codes Lucky as Kodak, looks to me like Koda Color from the 80s.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think all ferrania films I've come across are terrible. I work at a smallish photo store with developing and printing, and 95% is the cheapest films around, el-cheapo Agfa and Ferrania stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll go ahead and shoot one roll and see what results. However, I hit a better cache of cheap film tonight when I went out to buy some insect repellant at a nearby drug store. Naturally, I wandered over to the film display, and found Kodachrome and Elitechrome 100 marked down to .... get ready for it ... $1.68US per 24exp roll. Also on sale were 3-packs of Kodak C41 b&w x24 for $2.68. I bought everything on display, and I'll be going to other locations of this chain (Eckerd's) tomorrow.

Oh, the insect repellant? For some strange reason (computer glitch?), it rang up as $0.57! Think I'll go back out and buy some lottery tickets!

Earl

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    I thought Ferrania bought out the 3M color division and is now using 3M technology.
    It's been a long and convoluted path, but basically yes, at least in terms of the business relationships. From memory, 3M spun off its media division as Imation, which was then bought up by Ferrania. FWIW, I don't believe I've ever seen Ferrania film for sale as such in the US, but it's pretty common as a house brand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    is this film available in 120?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin