Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,464   Posts: 1,570,659   Online: 815

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Velvia 100

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Looking forward to the results. I hope to do some test myself in the coming weeks; I've heard that RVP100 is spot on at 100, yours is the first report I've seen otherwise.

I've got to get busy and shoot some more 4x5; I've been playing with my new Nikon F5 (I got it used) all week.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here are the latest results of my tests. As you can see, I spent a bit of time placing side by side and labelling. Have had to resize to meet upload requirements. Still you should be able to see what is going on. Shots were taken one after the other in stable lighting conditions.

Scans were dome at same settings, except that I used the shadow dropper tool in the rebate for each image in order to determine a true black. The images look about right on my monitor (D50 and gamma 2.2), but in any case you can do a comparison.

ISO 80 seems a bit light, so ISO 100 would be better. For the 1 stop push, I used ISO 200, whereas ISO 160 would have been better!

Am very concerned about the unpredictability of the treatment of skies. The red-ness also comes into the shot of the cliff in the warm dawn sunlight. More so in some tonal areas than others.

I have now uploaded these to the Technical gallery
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...o=8141&cat=502

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...o=8142&cat=502

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...o=8143&cat=502

I shot early afternoon yesterday in a comparison with RVP100F. Will see how the sky is rendered in the colder light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heather-at-dawn-film-testAPUG.jpg   Portland-cliff-film-testAPUG.jpg   Red-hill-bog-film-testAPUG.jpg  

Images
    DO you think you did not give enough exposure to the new Velvia? Not questioning your methods but my use of the old velvia is reddish when I underexpose too much. If you nailed it then these are two widely different films.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Robert, have you had a chance to play with this stuff yet? If so, what do you think?

Bruce

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sorry Bruce, I've been shooting some, but I just haven't shot enough yet to be able to send to the processor - I usually wait until I've got about 100 sheets or so. I will send a batch by the end of the month though; I've got a lot of Velvia 100 (and 50) for my trip to New Zealand/Australia in October.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Sorry Bruce, I've been shooting some, but I just haven't shot enough yet to be able to send to the processor - I usually wait until I've got about 100 sheets or so. I will send a batch by the end of the month though; I've got a lot of Velvia 100 (and 50) for my trip to New Zealand/Australia in October.
    Robert

I would suggest that you send a couple of sheets of the RVP100 ahead of the batch to see if it is behaving as you would want. I know this sounds pedantic, but performance of RVP when shooting at either end of the day, as you do, is not as what many would wish, especially in the skies. Here it produces incredible (ie not credible) results. There are many UK LF shooters who, like myself having tested the new film, are less than enamoured.

My photo library is not relishing the postproduction work incurred in Photoshop removing reds/magentas from those who supply trannies only to them. They love images shot on RVP50.

As for the NZ trip, you will want to be certain that you are obtaining the results you desire.

On my recent 2 week trip to Cornwall, I shot just 1 sheet of RVP100 and over 80 RVP50! Am seriously looking at using colour neg film as an alternative and shot 15 sheets of this in readiness.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Baxter,

I will be getting a batch off for processing soon. I've been waiting to finish off the box when David Goldfarb gets here; we are going off shooting somewhere - wherever he wants to go.

This batch I have represents tests with the 100, as well as tests with my new Schneider Super Symar XL 80mm lens - with and without the center filter. That center filter takes such a huge outside filter that I would like to see how usuable the images I get without it are.

I've actually got an equal amount of 50 and 100 Velvia for the trip, except in 35mm which is all 100 (I shoot very little 35mm thest days). I've also found a local source for film in Christchurch that has the 50 in stock, so I think I am set. Sean and John on the North Island will have other sources I'm sure.

BTW, I've completely replace my Cokin kit with an equivalent Lee kit - except I can't find a hard grad .3 (so I settled for the soft grad). I am a bit concerned with the standard hood I bought (I shot some test with the 80 and this hood to be processed in the next batch).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the UK there is a comparative review in this weeks Amateur Photographer. It seems positive, but detects a slight red tinge in the new film and says there is a little less contrast than Velvia 50.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Looking at Baxter's test results above, I'd describe it as more than a slight red tinge.

Shooter
    Multi Format

What's in a name ?

Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    In the UK there is a comparative review in this weeks Amateur Photographer. It seems positive, but detects a slight red tinge in the new film and says there is a little less contrast than Velvia 50.

David.
    I read this comparison , and called into my local so called "professional dealer" yesterday who sold me a roll of Velvia 100 F, saying it was the only velvia 100 made,and anyway it's the same thing, I couldn't bother arguing and bought it. How many Fuji Velvias are they? I know it's only one roll, and I'll use it, but it appears there are two Velvia 100 emulsions so take care you get the right one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin