Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,414   Online: 954

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Velvia 100

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Velvia 100

Has anyone actually seen the new Velvia 100 (not F) yet? I checked with Adorama, saw they had it in stock (4x5 QuickLoads), ordered it, then was told it was on backorder. Calumet and B&H both say they don't have it yet.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shot a roll of the 35mm the other day, and found it to be close on grain to the 50, but still am undecided about the contrast and color saturation, I still need to do some more comparing.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I walked into several camera shops locally, and not one of them even knew Fuji had a new Velvia - even one store that doesn't sell anything digital. The Fuji reps here aren't doing a very good job, and I am beginning to wonder what Fuji is doing in the rest of the country. FWIW, I am a bit "pissed" that Adorama took my order, only to later tell me it was on "backorder".
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is odd, they were advertising the new velvia on ebay about a week ago, I knew that B&H did not have the 4x5 in stock, but was able to get some rolls of 35 from them and our local store here in town also has the 35 in stock...

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah the counter person at my local camera shop gave a confused look when I asked if they had any of the new velvia. One thing that has me concerned is the $7.25 per roll price on B+H which should translate to about 9 dollars a roll at a local shop. I seriously hope this price only reflects an initial cost of a new product that will go down after time. If not I think alot of this stuff will be going bad on the shelf. Slide film sales are on pretty shaky ground as it is. Overblown prices won't do anything to stimulate them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    There is no rush to spend your money on RVP100 or see what it does, if you like RVP50.

The small number of sheets I have used haven't been much of a success. All UK landscape photographers are pretty much banging the same drum. Whilst offering saturation, it lacks warmth and does unpredictable things with the colours of skies. In discussing this tendency, the feeling is that the problem is dynamic, so cannot be filtered out.

Whilst it is early days, such a groundswell may encourage Fuji to rethink and make the appropriate adjustments. After all, the RVP100 was brought out in response to the fact that the 100F version was not seen to be a tremendous success.

Excusing the fogging in bottom left, here is the same scene in RVP100 and then RVP50. Due to the volume of film I shot in Tuscany, and that I was scrounging the new film from another photographer, I cannot remember exact details, but think that the RVP100 has a 0.6 grad and the RVP50 had a 0.9, but were in pretty quick succession. The scans are low res and haven't had any photoshop processing, just same scanner settings after establishing true black from the rebate.

I have some more RVP100 and will be doing more controlled testing in the coming weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RVP100  - Ripa d'Orcia.jpg   RVP  - Ripa d'Orcia.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Bradford
    There is no rush to spend your money on RVP100 or see what it does, if you like RVP50.
    Big difference in the two; I'm looking forward to seeing more of your tests. I'm just trying to get the film so I can do my own tests, prior to my October trip to New Zealand/Australia.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting results Baxter. Thanks for posting. On my monitor it looks as if the iso100 has had proportionately more exposure and consequently a little less contrast & saturation than the rvp50. But of course this is a guess. I was wondering, at what ISO do you rate rvp50? It would be interesting to see your further test results.
    We're not due to see the RVP100 in NZ for a few weeks yet.

Robert may I suggest stocking up with more film than you imagine you will use in Aust and NZ! We're planning some really good weather and locations for you .

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    John
    I was hoping to give them the same effective exposure, so I rated the RVP50 at ISO 40 and the RVP100 at ISO 80. They look so different on the lightbox in terms of colour and to a lesser extent contrast, that it is hard to assess relative exposure. Using the foreground and tree (ignoring sky, due to uncertainty over ND grad) they are pretty similar. Opinions differed in the Outdoor Photogaphy mag test about rating, but you shouln't be too far out with ISO 80.

One of the things I want to try is using it pushed one stop since I have found this beneficial for RVP100F.

I now have RVP100 in both sheet and QL, so future tests will enable more details to be written to aid learning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Baxter. I suspected the rvp50 had been given a bit more exposure. Yes, the colours really are very different aren't they. Keen to see the results of more of your tests. best, John.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin